Dodgy coil ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave.P

Reaction score
Never had a coil go duff on me so think it might be, but want your views please guys.
Ok 2080 type 1 lump, twin 40 drla's , 009, new leads.
Just developed a habit of dying randomly after driving a while, where it will lose power, stall at junctions, or on a busy roundabout :shock: then it will start again after a few seconds and run like the timings out or the idle jets are blocked. Backfired last time, scared the shit out of my mum in the back seat ! :lol: but will run albeit badly..
Give it a rest for a few minutes and it starts well, runs good, then goes crap again.
All other times it runs well starts well, no probs.
Had the idle jets block several times prob due to the old dirty tank and I've got to know exactly how that runs like that now, but this is different now.
What do you think ?
P.s are the Beru or flamethrower coils any good as most places out of stock of bosch ,typical as its my only car this week !

I haven't checked a thing since the " mum brownseatgate scandal" so I'll change that one cheers Ozzie
Hope it's that as I'm sure I got a spare one in the shed,.. Somewhere ..

You can get a electronic dizzy points replacement off t'internet for about 30 quid or less. Fit and forget, no more points or condenser to worry about.

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Cheers

Alistair

It is running a pertronix unit in the dizzy, honestly couldnt remember if theres still a condensor on it .running two fuel filters now , one was changed recently and the other was probably within 100 miles. I don't get out in it much ! The filter is never empty of fuel hence me thinking it'll be an electrical problem.
Still haven't had chance to look at it yet , just too busy unfortunately.

I too have never had a coil go, but could be a thing maybe?

Do you have a GSF or Euro Car Parts local?

I'm sure a universal type coil would do?

Links and help here:

http://www.vw-resource.com/ignitionlinks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, yes have both nearby. Think ill probably stick on spare new cap, plugs rotor etc its just the coil I don't carry a new spare but I can swap it for another used one.
It's just so random, first time it took 15 minutes to do it then second time was about five minutes and I've got two weeks till I need to use it next :(

I have got same problem exactly!
I've tried new coil, new carb, new leads new dizzy, new spark plugs,
Exactly the bloody same result as before I spent a few hundred quid!!
I'm now ordering a condenser even though it was new before my trip out,

Could it be the gauze filter in the fuel tank? I had 2 Pertronix coils and both failed........after a while on the road the engine would die and would fail to restart. After a while it would restart and run fine until another hour on the road when it would die again. Found the coil was overheating and failing to produce a strong spark but once cooled down it worked normally. I stuck my old Bosch blue coil and problem solved.

Dodgy fuel pump, or a sticking float in the carb? If it's stuck shut the filter will remain full of fuel.

Thanks for the coil info TeamBrian, mine will restart immediately but will run badly after that stalling jerking etc. turn it off for two minutes and its fine again...hmm making me think it might be fuel problem now. Rebuilt my o.g pump a few years ago so doubt it's that ??
Do have a pressure regulator after the pump..
Maybe time to strip and clean the carbs again :roll:

A year later and I've still got this problem :(
In short, it runs perfect for about ten minutes.. Then will stall and not rev. If left for a bit, it's back to normal and the longer its left the longer it will run for.

I've cleaned the carbs now three times due to blockages, now sorted.
Fitted a filter king.
New coil.
Changed plugs ,leads ,rotor and cap
Set valve clearances
Timing set
Basically everything all bar;

Changing fuel filter by tank
Taking out and cleaning tank
Changing pertronix/ dissy
Changing battery or alternator

Fuel filter is next on my list (easy job first) then try spare dissy.
If its not that it will rot away in my garage for another year till I've finished my extension :(

Do you run a standard fuel pump ?
If so is the push rod an OG ?
If not check it, I had a GSF one ware away until it would operate the pump, during the time it took to ware away it gave the same symptoms you have described.

Yep o.g pump been rebuilt a few years back, no idea about the rod though !
Something else easy to check, cheers for that Sam
Still praying its something easy to fix ..

Whip the pump off and measure the pushrod.
It should be 108mm for a dynamo fuel pump, and 100mm for an alternator fuel pump.
Any shorter than this and it won't pump consistently.

What is the fuel pressure regulator set to?
Anything over 2.5psi and the carbs can flood due to fuel pushing past the float valves.

I have the same problem mate, started last autumn, thought id fixed it with a new coil, nope so now I'm changing plugs leads and dizzy, got electronic ignition in but not sure how old it is, so hoping its that. I've noticed mine does it after a while on idle, so I'm going to put strobe light on it and when it does it see if it's strobing, no spark no strobe, if it does then I'm looking at a fuel problem.
Hope that helps

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com

So this evening I've managed to check the pump pushrod, was 107mm.. So took one out of my spare engine which was 107.5 and swapped them. New ones being ordered tonight .
Fuel pressure on the filtering was 2 psi from the box, never checked it, so set that to 2.5psi now. Tomorrows job is to remove the old filter under tank and give it a spin to see if its changed anything.
Thanks for the help so far !

Update..
Fitted a new fuel pump pushrod,
Changed fuel filter by tank,
Just getting worse, then I spoke to a mechanic mate and he said straight away"sounds like your electronic ignition is overheating after a while, try changing that"
Just put on my spare svda dissy with pertronix in and..

Sorted!! Finally !!
Had a sweet half hour drive and it didn't miss a beat :D
Happy man 8)

Latest posts