Does a 67 actually exist

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Production of the Bay window began in August '67, so there were 5 months worth of vehicles produced in the calendar year of 1967. 73,585 vehicles to be precise
VW's "model year" for dating purposes ran from August 1st each year to the end of July. August 1967 to the end of July '68 is model year '68 which can lead to confusion when ascribing a date to a vehicle.

vwed said:
Yes. Production of the Bay window began in August '67, so there were 5 months worth of vehicles produced in the calendar year of 1967. 73,585 vehicles to be precise
VW's "model year" for dating purposes ran from August 1st each year to the end of July. August 1967 to the end of July '68 is model year '68 which can lead to confusion when ascribing a date to a vehicle.
Ahh
That would make sense then
As all my paper work for my bus says Sep 67
Thanks for you reply
Kr

NO!!!!!

There is no such thing as a 67 Baywindow!

They were manufactured from August 1967 but were ALL 1968 Models.

Really crucial bit of Info Manufacture date may have a 67 in the year but that makes it a 1968 model, all of VW's chassis numbers run from August to August and still do!

Alex, that's like saying people born in the autumn of 1967 were not from 1967!.
When discussing the age of one's Bus of course people are going to refer to when it was made rather than the model year.
"There is no such thing as a '67 Baywindow!" - yes there is - 75,585 of them originally. Being flippant, it sounds as though you are trying to expunge their existence.
Fair point about the model year (especially from someone working in the parts business) but I qualified my first posting by mentioning it.

Theres no such thing as a 71 Crossover either even if its made in 71
they are all 72
You cannot get parts for a71 crossover
If you state 71 you can
Easily end up with wrong parts :)

Exactly. No 67 early bay models. 67 is the last model for Splits.
My bay was built in April 67 but is a 68 model. The model year is written on the M-plate!
Cheers ;)

Alex VW Heritage said:
NO!!!!!

Really crucial bit of Info Manufacture date may have a 67 in the year but that makes it a 1968 model, all of VW's chassis numbers run from August to August and still do!

Soooooo my bus was MADE in sep 67, but is still classed as a 68

Stacey,
If knowing exactly when your bus was made is important to you, you'll have to get (pay) for the birth certificate from the VW Stiftung Auto Museum in Wolfsburg. It gives you the date of production, the date the bus left the plant, the destination market (in your case US), the M options, exterior and interior color, etc. It no longer gives the engine number though...
Regards,
Gustavo

Wibbs said:
Alex VW Heritage said:
NO!!!!!

Is the bus you are talking about the m-plate in your signature?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wibbs said:
Alex VW Heritage said:
NO!!!!!

Yup :mrgreen:

bello35 said:
Exactly. No 67 early bay models. 67 is the last model for Splits.
My bay was built in April 67 but is a 68 model. The model year is written on the M-plate!
Cheers ;)

April 67?

Well spoted guys...just checking if you were following closely this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

April 68 of course... :roll:

But we all agree there isn't such a thing as 67 early bay model, right?

Cheers ;)

bello35 said:
Well spoted guys...just checking if you were following closely this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

April 68 of course... :roll:

But we all agree there isn't such a thing as 67 early bay model, right?

Cheers ;)

Mines a 68, but when Joe Public asks me when it was made I say 1967. They don't care about model years vs build dates :D

This one on sale here is a September 67 :shock: this is as early bay as it gets :lol:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bello35 said:
This one on sale here is a September 67 :shock: this is as early bay as it gets :lol:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nah, it's well over a month into production :lol:

Latest posts