Does anyone use a portable GPS?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobus

Reaction score
It seems that a European trip is being organised by my wife and me for next June, July and August, maybe even into September.
Our plan is to pick up a T4 waterboiler Caravelle in Germany and travel to France to Italy and end up back where we picked up the bus near Kassel Germany.
I'm thinking I will lash out and buy a GPS to make it as easy as possible to find our way around.
I want to buy a portable unit so I can bring it back and use it here when needed.
So does anyone have any experience with this new technology?
If it's not too good maybe you can PM me to save the lawsuits, but any general tips would be greatly appreciated.
Models and makes would be helpfull too.

Maybe I will catch up with some of you at aVW meeting on the trip, we have been to the UK on a previous trip so Liz (tour co ordinater) isn't planning on going to England, I am trying to have a bit of a VW sojourn so maybe I can get over for a weekend show while we are in the neighbourhood.

Buy a garmin,i have a haulage business here in the uk, but travel all over europe.Tried several different makes, but always go back to garmin "Best Maps".
Best model Garmin Nuvi

Last summer I was travelling to Bad Camberg - Wolfsburg - EBI with 4 friends of mine. One had portable TomTom Navi and it was great! Even it did not have Belgium map, it knew the biggest roads and took us directly to Chimay.

And when you go walking in downtowns, you're able to use it when walking finding shops, restaurants, and ofcourse, back to your car!

I've got Navicore software to my Nokia 9300 communicator, that's nice too, as you only need small GPS receiver with you mobilepohone (and the auto charger). When driving around Finland, it alarms me about traffic cameras (I've downloaded them as POI from the net) and shows actual speed I'm travelling.

Fully recommend one as they are a life saver!!!!!

I use the TomTom software on mobile phones (screen a bit to small) and also on
a HTC7501 - big screen, plus doubles up as a camera, PC and MP3 player!! (not that cheap though) :shock: Hope this helps :wink:

I've just bought a TomTom too, as I'm changing jobs and a lot more driving is on the cards.

It seems like the best two makes out there at the mo are either TomTom or Garmin.

I cant stand them, every one i have ever used Tom Tom etc included, has always led me the wrong way on most journies at some point. Get a map book, costs less and doesnt make your van look like a sales reps :wink:

No disrespect to sales reps :wink:

easy said:
I cant stand them, every one i have ever used Tom Tom etc included, has always led me the wrong way on most journies at some point. Get a map book, costs less and doesnt make your van look like a sales reps :wink:

No disrespect to sales reps :wink:
Haha I was a sales rep for a few years and travelled all over Australia on their expenses!
We did a big OS trip in 2002, didn't even take the mobile phone, this time we want to give the teckie in us a little outing. We'll have the map on standby, but I don't want to be stuck in a little village in Tuscany, trying to interpret the map by the dodgy interior light of the VW we had then with eyesight that is no longer that good for reading in the semi dark.
I suppose we could buy a decent torch, but that wouldn't be nearly as much fun.
I'm also looking forward to installing something in my panel van, I like the idea of a bit of hi tec in the lobus. Did you know the passenger grab handle on the dash works perfect as a mobile phone holder?

I never use one i steer by the stars oh and a fold up tube map...

Her indoors is a same day courier and has had very few probs with the Tom Tom...

So for a decent road trip ahead mate i'd get one now and start planning your trip :wink:

enjoy it lobus and mrs lobus

I've had various Garmin units over the years and can highly recommend them - best used with the sound turned off though so you don't find it too intrusive!

;)

i have both garmin and tomtom, i prefer the tomtom as the features are much better and its easier to use (imo) ive never had any problems with the Garmin i just perfer the tomtom interface.

I have Homer Simpson, Arnie and Yoda voices for the tomtom, keeps the kid in me amused :lol:

its the best thing youll ever buy lobus, unless it ends you up in a river or something :lol:

A bit of advice if you get one, never set home as your house, set it as the town/suburb. Thieves have been know to use them to get back and ransack empty homes :wink: .

Latest posts