Don't buy a refurbished generator from veewee / gsf

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elibomrod

Reaction score
Just bought a gene from gsf taking advantage of the 40% off deal. Arrived quickly, looked good accept painted black, and paint was chipped in a couple of places. Old one worked ok just worried as tape binder for windings had fallen away and didn't want anything to rub and short out.

Spent two hours swapping it and started her up.

Bearing noise was terrible...tick over was worst. Took off belt and gave the shaft a wobble. I could see the axial play without the pulleys fitted. Measured it a 5 thou! 0.125mm

So stripped down the old one and tidied it up and put back on. Loads better and non existent axial play.

Does anyone know the max axial play...just worried about all the excuses they may give when I send it back! Don't want a replacement just money back. I don't trust anyone who thinks it's acceptable to send something out with that much play.

Any advice on best words to get refund and not replacement...

Si

Si, Without the pulley and all the other 'end components' fitted there will and indeed should be a small amount of axial play. Without any it will cease up or even break-up as it warms up. However, on a properly reconditioned unit the bearings should be a really tight fit that axial movement should be undetectable by hand. Your description suggests to me the unit has perhaps been reassembled with one of the two bearings missing. And yes it can and does happen - rarely! What was the radial play like and both ends?
Peter Good

Honestly, personally I've had it with GSF.
Used to get big bits off it and found they almost never supplied the right parts, and when they did the quality was normally so poor I couldn't physically put it on my vehicle.
Even at 40% off they're not much cheaper than the normal guys and I've spent far more with them on parts I can't use than parts I can.

Latest posts