A wheel story

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72nu-funk

Reaction score
A quick warning/apology. Skip all the below if you'd only like pictures. It's a long story :lol:

So before I went away I had a hunt around for a potential set of wheels for my bus but not with the intent of buying any since I knew i'd be better off using the stock wheels. That was until I stumbled upon a set in the US that matched the idea of what I was looking for. Having made contact I found out that if I wanted them then could be shipped to the UK in June in a container headed to Volksheaven. Who I must point out play no part in any of what happened.

Did a quick check around the net to make sure the seller was known, spent a couple of weeks mulling it over and then reasoned that it was a good opportunity since they appeared very difficult to source in the UK, so whistled away my money into the ether otherwise known as the internet on the 11th May 2010. Happy in the knowledge i'd be returning to the wheels in the UK that I wanted for the bus....

Well, that was the plan :lol:

I'd been told after payment that the wheels would ship out of the US on the 10th June. Whilst I was away I thought i'd better check whether they'd been shipped since I knew i'd need to arrange a courier back in the UK to collect and deliver them to a friends. I emailed on the 13th June to see whether they'd set sail. Still hadn't heard anything by the 8th July so sent another just in case the other had lost itself somewhere. I get a reply on the same day :) Except it says they didn't make the container....Not worried particularly as i'm away I email back and ask if he can let me know when they do so that I can arrange my end.

7th September comes and since I hadn't heard anymore I thought i'd pop an email across the oceans for a little update. 20th September comes and no update is arriving. Strange these emails keeping getting lost I think to myself. So I pop another one and get a reply on the same day. I do like it, the second one always seems to make it so far. I might be onto something here :msn4: The update is that the wheels are still in the US, no container yet but he'd check if someone else was sending one and come back to me. So I thank him for the update and that I look forward to hearing more soon :)

Due to it not being a priority in my mind whilst away I didn't email again until 11th November. This time I felt it was time to suggest he refund the payment and we'll leave it there since I hadn't heard anything and said i'd like a response by the end of the week. In the end I gave the seller until the 23rd. Asked for him to please reply and that I didn't want to have to contact paypal (knowing full well that was a lost cause after the time :lol: ) and how I looked forward to hearing from him in the next two days. Now you aren't going to believe this, guess what, the rule of the second one doesn't get lost comes good again. Amazing. Even better than that I discover they are on there way and he will find out where they are for me. On the sea perhaps? :roll: Politely replying of course that i'll be interested to hear where they are and when I can expect them to arrive in the UK. I still think the sea was a good bet for where they were :)

Since I was now on the final leg of the journey back to the UK and the couple of issues that cropped up on the way, I pretty much forgot about the wheels again. That was until I got back and saw that I still had no email from the seller as to what was happening. Hmmm. It's the 23rd December but I think why not, and pop off an email wondering why the ship would take a month to sail across the Atlantic. The seller breaks the rule by replying the same day :shock: until you discover that the wheels are still in the US and he is working hard on it....oh, and wishes me happy holidays. Merry f*&king Christmas :lol:

No point in us falling out over Christmas I think to myself and so wait until 6th Jan to email once again. So I hoped he'd had a good christmas and new year, wondered how the wheels had gone onto the sea and then seemingly u turned back to the US like 4 homing pigeons and wondered if there was any chance at all that I might get a straight answer this time please?

I get a reply the following day telling me how his dropping them to the shippers in the coming week, how two are finished and two are not, how i'll be stoked with them and how he has so much wheel work that he can hardly keep up! My heart bled, wouldn't yours? :p Oh, and i'll be getting pictures. My joy is unsurpassed. However, i'm amazed to see another email arrive. Two emails in a day? He must of had a good Christmas don't you think? Sure enough there are pictures. Pictures of two wheels. Apparently mine. A request for a contact number for me for when they arrive in the UK and he'll let me know when they are on the way. I'm a little dumfounded. Could it really be that I haven't flittered money into the wind and there really were these wheels? I reply with the details and say i'm pleased. Who wouldn't?

We trundle along to 10th February. No emails, no phone calls. I'm wondering whether the ship about faced again. Email asking for an update, mentioning I was a little frustrated. No reply. Maybe that rules back again I think to myself. Still, I leave it just in case they are clearing customs and come the 28th February email again.

With trying to get settled back into the UK and 'normal' life, I land up leaving the fact that no reply arrives until the 21st March. I'm fairly positive the ship may have got blown off course, found itself in Somalian waters, and my wheels were now being used as flesh tunnels on a pirate king....I don't mention this of course, but do mention we are getting ever closer to a year since I paid for them.

Come the 4th April i'm amazed to be informed that the pirate king was broadsided and in fact my wheels have landed in blighty :shock: even better I discover that the seller must have had one of those weird lost emails since apparently I should of been able to reach Andy and a 'repeat' of his contact details. Apparently I have to let the seller know when and if I reach Andy. Sorry, did I miss something there?

If you are still with me, that is the story of the wheels :lol: They had and indeed have arrived in the UK. Even better than that, two of wheels arrived semi etch primered, and the other two fully painted and laquered :roll: I haven't bothered informing the seller, I think I can be fairly rest assured that would be of no use to me whatsover. A friend hearing this story said "send them back and get him to do them" They didn't quite understand :lol:

Enough of that. They are finally here! I didn't like the colour for how I wanted them to look on the bus, and the fact the other two weren't done made the decision easy to get to work rubbing them down and spraying them.

If you came for the pictures, they are here. Not completely finished yet, but i'll get some other pictures up once they are on the bus :)

How they arrived

IMG_1084.jpg

Primer after etch

IMG_1121.jpg

Top coat

IMG_1133.jpg

Laquer with matting agent

IMG_1136.jpg

Cleaned and finished. For now. Hopefully they'll suit the bus :lol:

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

Dude they are sweet as, and something a little different!

Is your bus back in the road yet? Looking forward to pics of the wheels on!

thats a mad story , i resisted the pics and left me on the edge till the end,,

good luck with the so cool rims and next time give it to us in stages, thats more than ive read since skool

cheers john and bex

Nice wheels :D all turned out good in the end.The seller is always a bit slow with shipping theres a thread on vzi about him.I've got a set of these wheels in the shed will be putting them up for sale when i give them a clean up.

'All's well that ends well' as the saying goes. That's one set of handsome wheels.
Lets's see a couple photo's onced their fitted.

P. S .
I work in the air freight / sea freight business so if any one on Early Bay gets problems like
this in the future PM me. Can't promise anything but I may have access to info that may help i.e tracking containers etc;)
Might be able to help cut out some of the bullshit we get fed !

They look really cool an glad it worked out in the end an that 4 wheels turned up

Can't wait to see them on your bus

Rob

Look cool 8)

Glad you gave me an option to bypass reading your monologue :mrgreen:
Plus, I got the gist from the comments low down ;)

Im with John, that is defo the most I have read for a very long time!
They do look like a awesome set of wheels tho, you must have loads more patients
than me, I'd be getting pi%$ed of after 6 weeks.

nice to see a new style in the wheel department and liking the respray.

Being a little fick, what wheels are they or do i have to scour other forums to find out (still a cookie cutter fan at heart)

They are not a new style of wheel at all, they are 'pacers' from the 70's. I could have saved you the trouble as I have a set that need refurbing in my unit :mrgreen:

Benyon said:
Dude they are sweet as, and something a little different!

Is your bus back in the road yet? Looking forward to pics of the wheels on!

Cheers Andy, how is the bug going sir? How was Canada, or are you still out there in the comfort rv? I've almost finished getting everything back to where I want it so the bus will be in for MOT next week or the following one. Hope to catch up with you soon :)

john the horse said:
thats a mad story , i resisted the pics and left me on the edge till the end,,

good luck with the so cool rims and next time give it to us in stages, thats more than ive read since skool

cheers john and bex

Thanks John, and sorry for the reading effort :lol: just needed to make it clear how much of a pain they were to get hold of and get it off my chest!

ant said:
very nice :)

gvee said:
They look awesome. Worth the 11 month wait? :lol:

I hope they are worth it. If not, you'll see them in the for sale section quick enough :lol: Cheers ant. I love red lines and love whitewalls, and you may well be getting a visit ;)

Mickey Sam said:
'All's well that ends well' as the saying goes. That's one set of handsome wheels.
Lets's see a couple photo's onced their fitted.

P. S .
I work in the air freight / sea freight business so if any one on Early Bay gets problems like
this in the future PM me. Can't promise anything but I may have access to info that may help i.e tracking containers etc;)
Might be able to help cut out some of the bullshit we get fed !

Thanks Mickey. I used to work in the air/sea freight business on the personal effects/removals side of things. Fun and games at times eh? ;) I just wish he'd been straight. I could of lived with that since I realise the shipping element of the price he charged me had to be next to nothing.

Graham L said:
They are not a new style of wheel at all, they are 'pacers' from the 70's. I could have saved you the trouble as I have a set that need refurbing in my unit :mrgreen:

Bondo said:
Nice wheels :D all turned out good in the end.The seller is always a bit slow with shipping theres a thread on vzi about him.I've got a set of these wheels in the shed will be putting them up for sale when i give them a clean up.

You wait a year and two sets turn up. Swines :p

Cheers to everyone for the comments. Much appreciated. Hopefully i'll have made tyre size choices and get them put on by next week :)

hubba hubba hubba!! appliance pacers.... i f#ckin love appliance pacers!!!

if they dont suit your bus... first dibs... ive got a stunning set of SA sprints and a lovely set of pressed steel BBT sprints!!! ;)

seriously they are cool as and you dont see em around much this side of the pond.... never seen any on an EB..

Latest posts