Door cards / panels

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mginty

Reaction score
South of Bristol somewhere in Somerset....
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
What's the opinion on various door cards and other interior panels eg kick panels? I'm looking to just get some basic panels on at the moment as haven't decided on interior trim yet and am wondering on thoughts on Custom & Commercial/ JK/ Heritage/ Newton etc? Are they all the same?
Is it cheaper to get some made (poss don't have the facilities to do it myself)? Doesn't initially appear to be.
Also am looking for plastic sheets to go inside to stop water splashing onto door card as at present it's splashing back in to the cab. Not good. Can that be bought as a template or best to buy some plastic and cut yourself?

Thanks

Hi, you can pick the plastic sheets on eBay for a fiver a pair - precut and they are ok as I have a set.

As for the door cards, I dont buy from JK personally as I have had a few quality issues. I like an old set to be honest as I dont want the interior to look too new. However, if I was to purchase a set it would be new from VW Heritage (I think they use TMI) or I woukd get Newton to make you a set. the latter would be my choice.

Dont know what the others think?

Looking for door cards & interior panels at budget price try VW trim
http://www.vwtrim.co.uk/Site/Type_2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pm also sent

i got mine direct from newton, did not want standard ,so spoke to them and they sorted it for me, i m lucky as they are about 10 miles away so i went straight to the factory. ask to speak to jonny newton (he has a brazilian type 2) or duncan. found them to be very helpful and friendly.

cheers all...found the plastic sheets on ebay..£5 inc delivery - fantastic!
Think I'm gonna discount JK as generally seems to be a quality issue.
Am now thinking may just get all the panels done in baltic birch...
hmm

Hey SW, where are you planning on getting it from?
I've tried Robbins but they don't do 3mm any more - they may be able to order it if cannot get elsewhere. Also tried Lathams in Yate but they only have 4mm and also tried Avon Plywood who may be able to get it. If you can't source it may be worth getting a bulk load in although I'm not sure whether I'm going to do it yet.

Also have almost finished with your wheels - just one more rear to go on! Can't get the rear shocks undone (totally rusted and have been wd40'ing them almost every day plus can't get enough leverage) so having to deflate tyre, put in a bottle jack around the back and push down that way-not pretty! Then can just squeeze it in!
Hopefully if the weather holds will be doing that tonight/ tomorrow so if you're about Sat could maybe drop them off then?
Rob

I finished the rear of my bus with BB ply as a stop gap until i could afford to buy some TMI panels. Still can't afford to buy TMI but I really like the ply and it's now stopping in.

In the process of fitting the front door cards in ply now. I've got 4mm this time as i couldn't get 3mm easily but to be honest the 3 was more like 4 anyway. Dress the edge and it will sit in the recess fine.

A slap of clear varnish, and all is sweet.

Just trying to figure this out last night , a mate needs to refit a full headliner in ply. The curve over the roof is no problem and we think as you come to the sides and need a much tighter curve that the 4mm will bend enough (it did when we tried a short piece of off cut)

one problem you might have is getting a 5' wide sheet for the width of the roof, the timber yard i used only had 8' x 4' sheet but its fine for cutting my door cards out obviously.

The headliner should be going in in the next couple of weeks, i'll let you know if it works,

I bought an interior card/panel set from Custom and Commercial including kick panels - I found they were a total waste of money and time as they were never going to fit my van. It seemed to be a 'universal' kit!

Before that I got in touch with VW trim, the guy seemed to know what he was talking about with regards to different panels for different vans etc. He wrote everything down I wanted and said he would get back to me, I phoned him to get an update and he did not know who I was. I gave him my details/requirements again and never got a reply - again a waste of time!!

I ended up doing my own in the end.

just a quick word on newton, some of this is detailed on another thread somewhere.

i got a set that looks nice but most panels had issues with holes in the wrong places. the worst was the tailgate with only 4 of 14 holes any use. sent them a template to copy but even that is not perfect unfortunately.

they have been helpful and tried to sort it but i can't say i'm entirely happy. they said they get their panels from just kampers.

Latest posts