Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdave

Reaction score
Bad news for anyone with a dormobile. I have learnt today that Tim who was running it for the directors, has done a runner. It seems a lot of stuff that wasn't his has gone too. Typically i sent my roof to him for repair about 4 weeks ago, now it seems i may have to buy another. What a merchant banker!!!!!
The owners of Dormobile also own SHB 4x4 Hire at the same address, so anybody who has been ripped off for money or parts should contact them first. According to Companies House the company is still active, so trading standards may help to get things sorted. If, like me however, you trusted Tim you may not have a receipt, which is going to be a real downer.
Let me know if anyone gets any joy.
Cheers
Dave

well I feel for big Dave but Tim seemed a nice fella whenever I spoke to him and we don't know the circumstances that he left under he could have for all we know been trying to get what was owed to him and just thought cut my loses it happens but in terms of the roof have you been down to the place to see if your roof is there surely if your going to steel something you'd steel the new ones and he'd find it hard to sell them on, under these conditions wouldn't like to think of him as a rouge trader that's a shame lets hope you get your roof back Id go down there.

'Tis a shock - Tim came across as one of the good guys too - lets see what unfolds :?

Bigdave how did you get your roof to them,did they pic it up, or did you pay a courier the courier if you used one will have records and if you delivered it yourself then was there anyone else working there apart from Tim who you could confront about delivery just trying to help mate .

oh balls, was about to order a load of stuff from them, which is the only place i can get the stuff from

cheers for the heads up, hope it gets sorted out

Right gonna being talking to one of the Directors tomorrow morning, may be able to shed a bit of light on the subject....

OK,

Having just come off the phone to Mike of SHB Hire ltd, it all becomes clear.

Bigdave you've not been entirely open or honest with us have you.

Your roof is in the factory being attended too as I type, and its the only one, a few smaller parts are being addressed along with a full vehicle fit.

New rooves are a plenty so if you need a new roof give them a call.

Right now onto the tale,

Dormobile have been running at a substantial loss for some time it would appear prior to SHB buying them out (they were obviously interested in the landrover side of the business). Tim was charged with turning the business around being in charge for so long he was deemed to know it inside out, unfortunately it came to a head and Redundancies were proposed, Tim was given a bit longer to come up with a plan, deadlines expired, still nothing on the table, a proposal to operate on an as orders come in basis was finally tabled but still nothing concrete was offered....

It would appear that Tim has indeed ran off though not carrying a stack of rooves or kitchen units, this sadly is looking like a broken man getting away from it all, a possible breakdown due to the stress off impending layoffs wether the pressure of laying off colleagues and friends got to him or the thought of a life at the job centre,more likely a combination, either way he has left with a shadow and a few unanswered questions.

Now SHB are a little amazed, having taken the mantel following Tims untimely departure it would appear that they have been inundated with requests for information and qoutes from the VW fraternity, and some of the old staff are returning on Monday with one of there long serving staff Peter taking the reigns in an attempt to make it work. This is not another old company struggling in the present climate, sadly it looks to be an ill managed company for some time losing direction and not being able to capitalise on its name and reputation, fingers crossed for the guys in Southampton starting back to work on monday.

Dave I suspect you are about to recieve a phone call, being the only roof in for repair and at the top of his list of to dos your name came straight to light.

Cheers guys dont believe everything you read

Araon

Yeah hopefully, he was real straight with me went into a lot which hasnt gone in this, if anyone fancies doing a feature on them for the site let me know as there happy for a visit to be arranged any Southampton based people fancy it ;) .....

Araon, good result and fingers crossed for the future of the business (shame about Tim.....) ;)

Yeah.....they want to get hold of him, he didnt go into great details other than they really need a few details from him wether it goes further than that who knows.....Fingers crossed though Peter stepped up and has shown his colours, their going through all the records to find out what went wrong and try and go through the backlog of requests for info, and qoutes....Ironic though SHB took it on for the land rover element but thats not proved to be awfully popular.....

Anyway anyone fancy a factory visit? may be of interest to all you Dormobile fans...

Possibly jumping the gun with the first post. however, i was fully led to beleive that there was a serious problem. i had been trying to contact dormobile for a few weeks before going down there and finding no sign of anything to with campers. when i spoke to mike he didn't tell me that he was going to be restarting the company,or that he was anything other than the boss of the company in the same unit. but he did acknowledge the fact that tim had left unexpectedly. he advised that he had other people chasing him before i saw him and when i told him my predicament he said he would have to look through what was left behind and let me know if he could find anything. he didn't seem hopefull.
it has transpired, however, that mike is in fact a good guy and he was left in a big tangle with what was going on in the workshop. he has found the roof, and as aaron rightly pointed out, he has organised the guys to carry on working. mike has since been trying to tie up all loose ends and hopefully will make a fully operational concern again.

Phew, thats good news anyway,thanks Araon for taking the time to go stright to the horses mouth , as it were.At least the workers have something in this climate and maybe 'Dormobile' can be stronger in the future.the website up and running again would be great!!

Araon said:
Anyway anyone fancy a factory visit? may be of interest to all you Dormobile fans...

sounds interesting,are you thinking about an eb group visit? - I would be interested!!

Latest posts