The correct and proper way to buy a vw baywindow camper !

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poptop2

Reaction score
The correct and proper way to buy a van !

Buying a classic vw is not a thing to be taken lightly, if you fancy a vw type 2 you have money burning a hole in your pocket and access to a large overdraft then read on .

The list is not exhaustable but here is the common tried and trusted way to aquire your vehicle .

1 Ebay is without doubt the most reputable way to get the vehicle of your dreams .

2 Look on ebay under vw camper or bay window and chose the cheapest vehicle you can see listed .

3 Please do not bother the seller with silly questions like " Does it have a engine ? " or " is this cool looking van in need of repair work ?" it will only upset them and possibly lose you the deal .

4 pay cash: it is always the best option all round , you can have the pleasure of seeing their happy face's when you bump up their bank balance beyond their belief .

5 pay absolutely no heed to the copious amounts of oil on the driveway where your pride n joy was parked , it just tells you the vehicle does indeed have a engine , which of course you should never ask before hand .

6 Under no circumstances take your newly paid for classic camper for a test drive: they are after all very reliable and well maintained vehicles and any little quirks should be sorted on the drive home .

7 Please do not embarrass the seller by checking oil or looking below the vehicle for signs of rot this will get your clothes dirty and is totally uncalled for .

8 Do not ask for a receipt this will only offend your new found best friends and jeopardise any future relations. .

9 Take pictures of the happy moment: it is after all about to change your life , you may have difficulty persuading the ex owners to partake in this pictorial documentation as they often feel a sense of loss on these occasions and disappear quickly back to the familiarity of their own surroundings .

10 Wave cheerily as you depart they will wave enthusiastically back, a bond has been forged !

11 Now that you are actually driving your dream vehicle it will pay you to take a moment to familiarise yourself with those oddity's of owning a bay .

12 Black smoke from exhaust - ignore it and rev the vehicle harder it will soon clear .

13 vague steering - a very clever design by vw to signify you are driving slightly fast and need to slow down a tad .

14 poor braking - grip the steering wheel tighter and stand on the pedal: it simply needs more pressure than a modern vehicle .

15 cutting out or misfire - a present from the seller to aid in your quest for a life challenge: he has indeed done you a favour and sooner than you think you will be familiar with the uncomplicated aircooled ignition system

16 Steering vehicle on to break down vehicle - This is most definitely one of the unforeseen pleasures of owning your new vehicle , the helpful and friendly recovery drivers always seem to be smiling and will save you a few quid in fuel for the journey home , listen intently to the chaps instructions and try not to guide the vehicle off the ramp .

17 the journey home , the cab of the recovery truck may be a new experience to you too , the oil stains on the seats and stale cigarette smoke will leave a lasting memory and you will wax lyrically about that journey home for years to come .

18 When you finally get your dream van home help the recovery driver to park it up as this may be the last time you actually steer the van for a while as you may want to personalise her before your next journey .

19 Tip the recovery driver and take his number , it is unlikely: but you may see him again and it is best to leave on good relations .

20 Now you have her home take lots of picture's and post them up on facebook for all your friends to admire .

21 give the seller a call and tell them of the great little experience the van has already provided you with, they may not answer the first few times as they are probably busy going down the bank , but persist and they will eventually answer and be very glad to hear from you .

There are of course other ways to buy a van but this is the tried and tested way to do it properly: there is no doubt about it you will be able to swap story's with other like minded bay owners and they will have a uncanny understanding of the experience almost as if they had been there !

Very funny :lol:

Although the bit where it broke down on the homeward journey was true in my case :msn4:

Jeez, this is all so familiar, did you follow me when I purchased my bay?
Although I did break down, to be fair it was after 500 miles and on the coldest night of last feb, dynamo packed up.

I will admit to buying unseen and from the other end of the country... One of life's adventures. I got away with it though :)

Jon

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

jonboylaw said:
I will admit to buying unseen and from the other end of the country... One of life's adventures. I got away with it though :)

Jon

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Bought mine unseen too, not sure if I got lucky or the seller :?

I lied btw, gumtree is even easier ,just pick the van you like, telephone the seller, send a bankers draft and they will deliver your van the very next day!

I bought mine just over a year ago now!!!! :D :D :D
Can't wait to drive it for the first time, soon ish ?.?? Possibly??? Hopefully??? :?

when I bought mine only the carb was wired up, I ignored the generator light being on for the entire drive home :p

it did get me home though :)

I seen mine and it was obvious there was a fair bit filler as all coach lines were filled.
The main problem was seen when i removed the belly pans though so beware haha they keep moisture in and that turns everything to rust :cry: But as many have said all is good now.

Hobo

Yep that's exactly how i bought my first bay. Another tip is to have a glass of wine or two whilst tracking down that ebay bargain!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah aaaaahhhhhh spent two years looking for the right one, then it broke down after thirty miles took me three months to get it running again beware the van that has stood with petrol in the tak for 15 years :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts