DRLA 40 and fuel pump

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Reaction score
Hi all

Got my hands on a nice pair of DRLA 40s for my 1641 (DP with Engle 100). They are choked down and jetted OK (unless anyone can share their wisdom on the best combo) - quick fuel pump question... is it best to run standard pump with reg, or new electric pump?

Interested in people's experience on this

Stu

What intake valve sizes you have? If stock 35.5mm, i would go for 28 or max 30 venturis. With the Dell's 32 it can be a bit difficult to tune and you will loose torque down low.
The stock Gen VW pump is my favourite, i don't mind the hoses as some want a clean look and go electric.
If you hook up a gauge, you can grind the rod to adjust your fuel pressure then you won't even need a regulator. Less parts to break, less headaches, cheap and the German parts reliability. What's not to like?😁
Abel

Carter rotary pump, they are set at a constant 3.5 psi so no need to worry about regulators or setting pressure and really quite too. Mount it above the gearbox to keep the engine bay tidy. To feed my Weber IDA’s I have a Holley pump & reg but on a mild engine like yours that would be total overkill.

Latest posts