Drum Brakes - value?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareneforster

Reaction score
Hi,
We've got a 1970 VW Dormobile Conversion with drum brakes all round and a 1600 engine. A recent trip around the Yorkshire Dales confirmed to us finally that we want to look into upgrading the engine power. Obviously this would mean replacing the drum brakes for discs. However, with one eye on eventual resale value, are we devaluing the van? We already have a modern interior so I guess we are already out of the "original" market? All thoughts appreciated! Thanks in advance.

A front disc brake kit will open the market for buyers not limit it.

There are purists but they are far out weighed by the Mr and Mrs smith wanting one of those cool looking VW Campers who with their kids in mind would prefer the disc brakes for safety and a little more poke to keep up with modern traffic.

Just my opionion though.

Ours has been converted from drums to discs and was one of the best things we have done to it.

As Alex says the number of people who would be put off by this is minuscule.

If you're in any doubt.... Keep your old drum setup in a box in the attic :) just like a service history, prospective buyers also quite like seeing a big box of spares (especially in good nick).

Got disks on the front on ours - CSP kit, wouldnt have a bus without them

Happystamps said:
If you're in any doubt.... Keep your old drum setup in a box in the attic :) just like a service history, prospective buyers also quite like seeing a big box of spares (especially in good nick).

That's a really GOOD Point :mrgreen:

You must also consider adding a brake pressure regulator to reduce pressure to rear drums so they don't lock up when braking hard. This may cause your bus to snake. Especially important if you are towing. You can get one off a late bay. My experience - if they come up for sale second hand - they sell fast!

I've just purchased (today) the CSP disc conversion from Heritage for my 1970 Danbury, I plan to keep the drums along with all the other parts I may just need one day

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

Latest posts