• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Early Bay LHD Throttle kits ....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Title of video is the give away .
Splits work opposite way to bays . This kit is for carb all setups till someone finds one it doesn't work with .
Have you ever actually looked at your kit ? My mate thought his was fine until this went on . Does your carb open fully when pedals depressed ?
My mate's bus needed a few other bits doing aswell he had to double spring the return on the carb which wears carb spindle bushes out at twice the speed of single . We removed second spring lubed up the acc cable tube and it's nice and smooth now . Will post picks of the worn out parts I removed from his bus he was surprised .
We are all knobs till we know the answers so ask away .

This is the kit i removed from my mates bus , as you can see grooves on the pushrod ,and holes have ovaled on the mount all adding up to loss of pedal response .
20121117_110416-1_zps746e8529.jpg

Mine came in the post yesterday :mrgreen:

My old linkage was wobbly and well worn, this is a nice 'new' slick bit of kit. Just have to wait till after xmas to fit it but at £35+p&p its a cheap upgrade you cannot ignore.

Des

I'll have 1 with the gaiter please. Is it ok to wait till after Christmas?

Karl

It is but i only bought the repair kit to get ideas of how I'm going to do it so far . Also need more info on the issues you guys have .

Thanks for the quick reply.

My main issue is that my RHD 73 has a new (pattern parts) throttle pedal linkage.

Despite the new parts there is still a little 'slop' at the pedal.

Engine wise, I have a twin Weber carb set up with a CB Performance linkage.

Despite much fiddling and adjusting, I can't get the throttles to open fully via the foot pedal so the bus is effectively governed.

Having looked at your design it appears that 1. It would take up the slack in the foot pedal end of the system and 2. May give the extra throw I need to get the carbs to open to fully.

Stirlingmoz

You need one of these in your life, that was how worn my linkage was, so would have worn through completely at some point,
the difference is amazing in response and is so smooth

get yourself some Buttstuff this christmas ;)

RHD boys and girls i will be looking into a kit , but a bit more involved .I have these pieces from a repro repair kit .
20121223_131837-1_zps701db51f.jpg

The 3 rods/shafts i can get done easy enough and i think my lhd mount will do the job of replacing the old mount possibly .
Im guessing you dont need the top hat section that the main mount fits to and is welded to the floor section as i doubt that bit wears .
Think what i will do is knock up what i think kit should look like and post out to someone to trial fit and go from there , unless i can find an early rhd in my area thats willing to let me mess around with it .

Simon..I'm in Woking and happy to bring the bus over for you have a look at.

Alternatively, I'm happy to be guinea pig for your development kit.

Stirlingmoz

butty said:
RHD boys and girls i will be looking into a kit , but a bit more involved .I have these pieces from a repro repair kit .
20121223_131837-1_zps701db51f.jpg

The 3 rods/shafts i can get done easy enough and i think my lhd mount will do the job of replacing the old mount possibly .
Im guessing you dont need the top hat section that the main mount fits to and is welded to the floor section as i doubt that bit wears .
Think what i will do is knock up what i think kit should look like and post out to someone to trial fit and go from there , unless i can find an early rhd in my area thats willing to let me mess around with it .

The only trouble with the repair kit is that the rods are either too long or too short.
The top hat section does oval as the bush is poor quality and wears quickly, and the retaining springs are shite.
I've drilled and split pinned all mine, but suffer from too much play again now, down to less than half actual pedal travel.

Im thinking of making the 2 long shafts with left hand and right hand threaded rose joints on the ends so adjustments could be made .
As my mount has its own bearing in it the mount welded to the floor wont matter wear wise ,as long as you can bolt my mount on . Need a bus here to try it on .

Stirlingmoz said:
Simon..I'm in Woking and happy to bring the bus over for you have a look at.

Alternatively, I'm happy to be guinea pig for your development kit.

Stirlingmoz

That maybe an idea , your not that far from me , well hour and half i would have thought . Think thing to do would be knock up some joints on studding to get correct lengths etc then pop down one weekend .... Or i can send you the bits to try yourself .

Just ordered mine, with my Christmas gift money :lol:

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

Foz said:
Just ordered mine, with my Christmas gift money :lol:

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!
Will post on Thursday now as crimbo is in the way . Cheers Simon .

[/quote] That maybe an idea , your not that far from me , well hour and half i would have thought . Think thing to do would be knock up some joints on studding to get correct lengths etc then pop down one weekend .... Or i can send you the bits to try yourself .[/quote]

Simon..My RHD bus was built in January 73 and has the throttle pedal set up in the top right of this pic (Pic ripped off from VW Heritage)

214-721-603.jpg

I have replaced parts 1b, 2, 3, 6, 14a & 14b with new pattern stuff which is frankly not that great.

The pedal flops around side to side on its pivot and there is still some slack in the moving parts.

Looking at the set up is it possible to make the piece (not numbered) that fits on the left end of the shaft 14a that locates the throttle cable ?.

It's held on by the nut and washer 12, 13. If this could be made longer I think you would a get longer pull at the carb end for the same amount of movement at the foot pedal.

I'm no engineer though.

Stirlingmoz

PS..Ive already got a set of your stud pattern adaptors on my KG which work a treat :)

14b and un-numbered one are easy enough to do . You may find just doing 14b with one of my ballpointed rods would be enough . If you tell me how long overall the rod is I can post you a rod as a tester and go from there .

Latest posts