• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Early Bay resto project for sale..Wirral Area..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikedude

Reaction score
VW Camper T2 1971 tax exempt Project and Replacement Panels

Unfortunately I have to sell my Danbury Tin Top camper Crystal as I have no time or garage to complete the work needed (four children to entertain). Also the wife is not happy that I have two campers on the drive, so it can't stay there anymore either! I have been working on this camper for three years stripping out rust and bad repairs, so a lot of man hours have gone in to it. It is now ready to start being rebuilt, and is a cheap project to the right person. This sale is for the van and repair panels.

THIS IS A PROJECT IT NEEDS WORK!!!!

As you can probably guess it needs welding and some new panels! The roof gutter on the rear of the passenger side is bad, but I have included two gutter sections in the sale. I have stripped all the paint from her as the repairs made before I got her where shocking so I wanted a full idea of how bad the whole body was. I have removed all the window glass (included in sale) and I have given the whole bus a coat of red oxide paint to stop further corrosion. I have filled any holes in the roof with seam sealer to stop any more damage. The chassis is solid throughout, both front and back. The roof is ok with the exception of the area mentioned above.
I have removed the rotten cargo floor and replaced all the damaged top hat sections and out riggers. I have also de-rusted and painted this section to stop any further corrosion. As a matter of course I blasted all the out riggers with wax oil.
I have replaced the driver’s side inner and middle sills and have the outer sill included in the sale (see below for a full list of panels included). This now needs rubbing down and painting.
I have cut most of the front arches out, as the last owner had just welded new ones over the old rusty ones, and started to prepare the area for the fitting of the new arches.
I have removed the engine and stripped the carbs and parts off it. Some of the tin ware is missing it was like this when I bought the bus, but it was running all be it with a small oil leak. It has not been run for two years now so it will need a full strip down and rebuild I think.
The gearbox has been taken out and painted, with three coats of rust buster and two coats of red engine enamel. The drive shafts and clutch parts are in a box and included in sale.
The petrol tank has also been taken out, stripped and repainted with three coats of rust buster and three coats of white hammerite. The sender is in good working order and is waiting to go back on.
I have bought a number of second hand panels to replace the damaged ones on the van, including an engine lid, which is in quite good condition but will need rubbing down and a few rust holes filling. A rear valance in very good condition, but with horrible silver paint. Again this will need rubbing down and repainting. Two track covers, original, in good condition. I have the front part of the front bumper, with hangers, needs work but could be salvaged.
The front outer and inner panels could do with replacing. Work has already been started on the bottom panels and there are newly welded sections. Needs a new interior and the brakes are a bit ceased.
The sliding door has been repaired badly and needs re-doing or replacing, but both cab doors are very solid. The tailgate is ok and only needs a bit of wok to get back into good order.

In comparison to a lot I have seen, it's not THAT bad! I had a price off Manchester Air-cooled to do all the welding and make the bus solid and that was only £3k for the lot and the welder said it would take him about two weeks. As I said The engine does not start or run!!! Some of the places you would expect the rust are actually fine. This sale includes the van, all the panels I have bought, the window glass, engine, gearbox and some other bits that I have.
Not sure what else to say about it other than it is full on project and will not be running in a month, but I'm sure it could be lovely when finished!
It has no MOT etc so will need to be transported on a trailer. I have the logbook and some other documents for this bus as well as some original Danbury literature.

Panels included (over £600):
Front Panel (Schofield £35)
Front Inner Panel (Schofield £39)
Front Complete Arch x 2 (Schofield £53 each
Cab floor repair left and right (Schofield £26 each)
Cargo Floor panels left and right (Just kampers £127 each)
Rear arch drivers side (Schofield £23.50)
Rear arch closing panel (just Kampers £10)
B pillar inner driver’s side x2 (Schofield £35)
B pillar covers x 2 (Schofield £12 each)
Gutter section x 2 (Schofield £11.50 each)
Outer sill drivers side (Schofield £10 )
Engine lid: second hand in ok condition. Needs rubbing down and rust holes filled.
Engine mount: Second hand but solid
Track covers x 2: Second hand but in good condition
Petrol cap cover with good spring

Questons welcome and inspection visits. Sold as seen. 8)

Hi, no probs will post the pics when the board quota is not full. I thought i included the price, obviously not. I want £900 for the bus and all panels.

Mike

Getting the hang of this now...need any more let me know wayhey.....

bus%20pics

th_P2280101.jpg

Hi Mike
Sori didnt get back in touch.
Just waiting to hear from some people if they are able to do the work for me and will be back in touch as only in North Wales.
Is it still for sale though??
:?:

Latest posts