Early Brazilain Bay Transmission Swap

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpate

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
After 1972
Van Type
Kombi
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1980 Brazilian Kombu that is very much like an early bay. I am running into an issue where I need to change the transmission. It currently has a specific Brazilian VW IRS transmission labeled with a PF19 as a model. It looks almost identical to a Beetle IRS. The nose cone is the issue and I have never seen another like this with a longer hockey stick with a stamping of 2GY L on the hockey stick itself. I have been told to swap the nose cone and hockey stick to an early bus. That is option 1 to try.

Has anyone swapped a late-model beetle transmission into an early bay? My mounts are identical to the beetle and it would require the nose cone and bus drive flanges to be added which is not the issue. Some are telling me that the ring and pinion are the issue and would cause problems, but I have read many people have used a beetle transmission and are happy with the drivability. The R&P of my transmission currently is 5.2 roughly from what I am gathering and my replacement single-side plate Super beetle transmission is a 3.87. An 002 3-rib transmission would require all of the needed modifications and mounts which these did not come with from the factory for this year.

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Latest posts