early crossover versus early

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pottinger

Reaction score
Hey guys

PLEASE dont shoot me for this question.

I have heard alot in my search that earlycrossovers offer a more modern driving
feel etc over completely earlybays.

Now i know there backsides dont look as luvvvvverly but the front looks

My question:-
Is the (supposedly) better driving / feel of these crossovers worth it over the cosmetic side of the rear end ?

Just wondered ya thoughts and i am not saying i agree, just kinda wondered thats all.

cheers
d

Get one from the US and it will have a stronger Type 4 (1700) engine which is a nice to have, but will cost you dearly if it all goes wrong :?

Otherwise the only real biggies is the disc brakes, which 71's have and can be retro fitted to earlier models.

Id say get the most solid and complete van you can, but make sure its a model you are entirely happy with. :)

I've had both. The only difference I noticed was that the crossover has disc brakes as standard, so better stopping and the gearing seemed to be higher so better motorway cruising.

Clem said:
Get one from the US and it will have a stronger Type 4 (1700) engine which is a nice to have, but will cost you dearly if it all goes wrong :?

Otherwise the only real biggies is the disc brakes, which 71's have and can be retro fitted to earlier models.

Id say get the most solid and complete van you can, but make sure its a model you are entirely happy with. :)

I agree,

the most important thing with a bay is to source a sound body with a style you like, You can always put a disc brake conversion on, which is the only advantage of a later crossdressing van. As for type 4 motors I'd stay well clear a strong 1600TP will out run and last most 1700 Type 4's at a much lower maintenance and running cost!

hi,i have just bought a crossover and at the time of purchase didn't know what the differences were, admittedly the early bays look better with the small lights, & small vents etc. i think there seems to be a slight snobbery surrounding the two models but if you are using the camper for what is is intended for ie. camping in great places does it actually matter what size the lights are. Not really !!!!!!! :)
Mine came with a knackered engine and my mate managed to find a replacement for £160.
I agree, buy the best van you can !! :Also being the owner of a 1960 split screen its a novelty to be able to stop when you brake !!

for me the choice wasn't earlybay over cross dresser, is was split over earlybay.
went for earlybay for more comfort and better mechanics, but still have the lovely split back end. as said you can always up grade the brakes and the engine to get more like a cross over, but you dont have nice moon vents and small lights. It's all down to personal opinion.early all the way is mine. :D

get what you want mate, split, bay (early or late), wedge, t4 or t5. if its not what you want, you'll never be happy dude. i love all of them but an early bay fits my need the most. I like the look of them better then the others, we all have different want and needs. i want mine as low as possible ............... and then some. i have 4 kids and my and the wife holiday in it and i (have a work van) use it as a second car

'71 FTW!

Though I would love a T5......

My choice was around the design styles of the 50's, mid 60's or early 70's - the earlybay imo is a better aesthetic design than the split/late/crossover bay and that's what I bought on - that being said I wouldn't turn down any camper! - but to confirm the answers already given, the advancements in technology are not a strong enough reason to choose a crossover instead of an early, it's more down to the individual bus and it's condition, end of the day they are both lowlight vans :)

thanks guys,

birthday is jan 29th and i am 40 so
a bus is my present to ME and it gives
me a little time.

YEY !

cheers
d

ps
dont show my wife this post. :lol:

With a 72 Crossover I'm biased, but the advice about buy the best you can afford, is sound.
The good thing, generally, is that a lot of new technology can be applied to your bus if you don't want to keep it stock.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it's personal to you. The rest is just opinion :)

Latest posts