EB front panel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currylager

Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing the complete front panel on my bus. Does anyone actually manufacture a front panel for an early bay or have i got to buy a late bay panel and modify it?. :?

I believe you will have to modify a late panel mate :cry:

Surely someone will start manufacturing them eventually won't they? :?

Yep buy the late panel and the early lowlight panel which you still have to fit your original lowlight brackets too :?

I must admit there surely must be a maket for some workshop out there..
especially when you look at the windscreen areas and crash/ nudge damage etc...

Come on you engineers theres a market out there for complete front clips for early bays even the extra cost surely outways all the extra work involved in modding a late panel.

Araon said:
Yep buy the late panel and the early lowlight panel which you still have to fit your original lowlight brackets too :?

Come on you engineers theres a market out there for complete front clips for early bays even the extra cost surely outways all the extra work involved in
modding a late panel.

Schofields do an already modified late panel. About £250 I believe, I did my own. £55 for the IGP late panel off GSF, £15 for the lower half. I made my own upper indicator block offs. Saved myself a packet and the end result is good.

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0390.jpg

DSCF0395.jpg

DSCF0397.jpg

DSCF0398.jpg

DSCF0624.jpg

I even found a nifty way of hiding the dreaded late symbol bulge. Got a cheap plastic JK early symbol made of plastic and used a Dremmel to cut out the shape of the raised area in the back of the symbol and now it sits flush.

that badge idea is great! ]
now if someone made them commerciallly avalible..... :wink:

Hmmm you've got me thinking there, I'm building a furnace for smelting glass, I may (when its up and running) try a mould for the VW badge and do an ali version... Thanks for the inspiration lads.....

speedwell68 said:
Araon said:

Come on you engineers theres a market out there for complete front clips for early bays even the extra cost surely outways all the extra work involved in
modding a late panel.

Schofields do an already modified late panel. About £250 I believe, I did my own. £55 for the IGP late panel off GSF, £15 for the lower half. I made my own upper indicator block offs. Saved myself a packet and the end result is good.

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0390.jpg

DSCF0395.jpg

DSCF0397.jpg

DSCF0398.jpg

DSCF0624.jpg

I even found a nifty way of hiding the dreaded late symbol bulge. Got a cheap plastic JK early symbol made of plastic and used a Dremmel to cut out the shape of the raised area in the back of the symbol and now it sits flush.

Nice work, think i'll try the same, how difficult did you find the job as a whole?, does the heater ducting stay in place with the old front panel removed, or have i got to start bodging supports in before i start cutting?? :roll:

its pretty straight forward, ive done a few.
the front panel still fixes at the grill area, the sides are crimped but i also weld them. the top is spot welded along the windscreen recess and you join it in at the A post. the bottom needs the lip cut off and you join the lower valance in.
the other thing to look at is the condition of the wiper motor panel, these often need repair or replacement as they are just behind the top of the panel.

slammedkustom said:
its pretty straight forward, ive done a few.
the front panel still fixes at the grill area, the sides are crimped but i also weld them. the top is spot welded along the windscreen recess and you join it in at the A post. the bottom needs the lip cut off and you join the lower valance in.
the other thing to look at is the condition of the wiper motor panel, these often need repair or replacement as they are just behind the top of the panel.

WHS^^^...

I used a tool called a joggler, it has two tools in one. One side is a hole punch for neat spot welds along the windscreen, the other side makes a flange for joining the two halves together for a seemless join.

Thanks for the advice guys i have a joggler/punch and it is slowly paying for itself and will definatly have if i can successfully fit a new front panel. I want to lower the bus too, but think i'll attempt the front first, if i cock it up it could write the van off :cry: . I hope to start the cutting once the september shows are over :wink: .

Latest posts