Electric problem x2

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAYO1608

Reaction score
Evening all.
I've spent all day with my brother fixing my entire rear lights. I have never seen such horrific bodged wiring, thankfully they all work as advertised now. But two problems yet to be fixed are
Problem 1-reverse lights I've got no voltage getting to the lights when reverse selected I've cleaned the terminations on the outside of the gearbox and checked the earths anybody got any more ideas?
Problem 2- No flash , dipped and main beam work and the stalk flicks between the two now that we re-soldered the wire in the stalk it just won't flash has anyone had this problem before or got any ideas?

Problem one could be as simple as a broken wire, try connecting a wire from the switch on the gear box to the reverse light, if not working, check switch on gearbox, easiest way would be to put wire from live side of switch contact to reverse light.
problem 2 ,not to sure, mine is the same, have not had a chance to sort mine yet, but i would start by checking switch, relay, wiring, earths, could be as simple as cleaning/lubricating swich. let me know how you get on.

Problem 1-reverse lights I've got no voltage getting to the lights when reverse selected

try the inline fuse from the coil,to the rev lights

robins said:
Problem 1-reverse lights I've got no voltage getting to the lights when reverse selected

try the inline fuse from the coil,to the rev lights

Check that the connection on the coil is there,and then as above, Then check that you get a live at the gearbox.(one side should be live with ignition, the other comes live with reverse selected).

Run a new wire to the reverse switch (go direct from the battery) this will make it easier as you know you have a live feed to the switch and then work from there.

The lights issue is usually the relay, i'm on my 3rd relay and the same thing has just happened to me. Hopefully i'm going to swap to a more modern relay as my headlight relay is a standard 5 pin type so its just a case of moving the relay from the fuse box and re-locating it (i have issues with the windscreen leaking onto the fuse box :x )

Thanks everyone for your help. One of the previous owners had cut the wire at the inline fuse. So obviously no power to the switch on the gearbox so no light. So we tapped a line of the battery so there was 12v at the gearbox, and once reverse selected 2 reverse lights on.

As for the flasher problem have done some voltage checks and it is the relay that is knackered .

I've had a bit of a nightmare sourcing bulbs today . I was after the brake/tailight, the ones fitted to my van are twin element with the bayonet connections level. I've only been able to find single element bulbs with level bayonet connections or twin element bulbs with staggered bayonet connections. Still got the bulbs to work by filing off one of the bayonet connections. Does anyone know where to source the correct ones from?

Latest posts