Electrical fault - gauge display

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andymac0143

Reaction score
Hey guys. 1972 LHD westy. Fairly standard wiring (usual previous owner butchery over the years)

Issue:
When I pull light switch under dials to side lights they illuminate and so does the light warning light in the dial, on second pull to headlights the light warning lamp goes off again, but dials stay illuminated. Same issue with main beam... When I flash it or put it on gauge warning light doesn't work.

Last issue: when I switch ignition on (first click) all lights on gauges work and all warning lights, when I turn engine on indicator warning lights stop displaying (indicators work though) and I have issues with the other warning lights like main beam and headlights not working.

Any ideas? I've checked all bulbs are fine and all lights on vehicle work, just not the warning ones on the dials to tell me they're on.

Could it be something like an earth issue or the light switch itself going?

Apologies in advance, I may mix up full and main beam terminology... I always do!

The green light on the dash should only come on with sidelights. When you have main beam on, the green light goes out. This is by design.
The dials themselves are turned on by turning the light switch (you should hear a small click). The dash lights come on with side and main lights, as long as the knob is turned.

Full beam (flashers) should illuminate a separate, blue indicator in the dash. This is only when they are active.

The dash pod itself is used as the earth. So if your earth was bad, it should affect all bulbs
So if you have a working part, test your bulbs are all AOK by swapping them in to a known, working, spot.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate that I haven't answered your question directly, but I thought it worth just clarifying some points around the behaviour and whatnot.
If you can narrow down your issue, we can talk through figuring out your wiring fault.

Latest posts