Electrics help needed please! SORTED! THE ANSWER IS YES!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliott99

Reaction score
Hi, should the earth of my 240 volt hookup be bonded to the chassis of the van, or does it just float, only connected to the incoming wiring?

Thanks,

Elliott.

No, it shouldn't.

The 240v connection should be max of 16amp and RCD protected. In no way should it be earthed to the van.

Any fault and essentially you are risking making the chassis live, along with frying the 12v.

SEe it more as an internal extension lead that is fused.

Steve B said:
No, it shouldn't.

The 240v connection should be max of 16amp and RCD protected. In no way should it be earthed to the van.

Any fault and essentially you are risking making the chassis live, along with frying the 12v.

SEe it more as an internal extension lead that is fused.

Totally and utterly and dangerously wrong!!!!

As Eliott99 says in his amended post title, the answer is yes. For exactly the reason you give. If for some reason the mains ends up connected to the chassis by a fault or because the cable is worn through then you will make the chassis live which means when you stand on the ground outside the van and grab hold of the door to open it you stand a big risk of an electric shock.

If the van is connected to earth then as soon as the problem occurs then the 240v is shunted to earth and the breakers will trip and you will be safe.

If your van is not earthed Steve, please sort it out as soon as possible.

Hi

I worked as a spark for a long time (to long in fact) and I'd bond it down to the chassis for reasons described by "madman" above

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

No problem, thought it best to clarify the right answer as no one knows which came first, the first reply or your amended title.

Latest posts