Electronic ignition and tachometer problem...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humphrey

Reaction score
I've installed a Petronix leccy ignition and now my moon eyes tacho doesn't work properly. The needle moves very slowly and doesn't read true...any one have any ideas what would cause this?

I know nothing of how tachos work, yet I can't see an obvious link between it failing and the Pertronix ignition, other than radio interference. Is it just a coincidence, I wonder? :?:

Thanks for the response. The tacho works from the coil which is connected to the distributor. If I take out the module and put the 009 back in it works normally.

Ah, right. I get it now, thanks. As I said, I don't know how tachos work.

I think you have answered your own question though. Maybe somebody could advise how they got around the problem.

Personally, I am not sure why you would want to run a tacho on a bus, but that's a different question! :D

Good luck.

Haha I need it so I can drive economically :)

Yeah I know their will be an answer will keep digging. Thanks!

Oslo_mark69 said:
Have you changed the coil as well as the dizzy

Nope just the electronic ignition module so the coil and the dizzy are the original Bosch units.

first I will state the obvious that you have the wires on the coil correct,feed to rev counter coming of neg side of coil ,also do you have ign feed and red wire to dizzy on + side of coil cos if you fit them the outher way around it will run but will suffer from a "back feed" in the coil windings.there again some rev counters need a amplifier to get a strong enough signal with some elictronic ign systems.

Thanks for your help fellas. 67panel that sounds legit. I've found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunpro-Tachometer-Signal-Booster-CP7561-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but may as well put the money towards a better tacho perhaps?

Also I'll check out that wiring as you suggest. I've had a problem with the battery going flat after leaving the bus for a few days, it's back feeding somewhere and could maybe be from the coil as you say.

Cheers again.

Humps.

Latest posts