Elvis - My 69 Delta Green Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubBGood2Me

Reaction score
So, I've been on here a while and ain't posted many pics up of the bus.

It came from North Carolina and I bought it like this (yes the roof rack was welded to the roof !!!!)

That was in October 2012. Spent the winter, spring and summer getting it up and running (You don't get much time with a new born, a three year old and a four year old) and managed to make one show in it last year.

Needed the usual wiring and running gear upgrades along with an engine rebuild, new adjustable front beam and horse shoe plates. Oh and I went through a few sets of rims before settling on the slot mags 8)

So first time on the road and he looked like this:

Notice his Elvis'esque front lip bumper

A few tweaks later and he's now more like this:

And with new blinkers:

Neeeeeeds to be lower so got loads to do over the winter / spring again.

4" Narrowed beam, dropped spindles and adj. spring plates
3rd Engine rebuild :shock: :shock: :shock: . Stock 1600 with twin weber 36's
Tow Bar to fit for the tear drop

And the reason why I posted in the first place, the interior. Here's what I've got to work with

More to follow, but only if yer interested.

I'm a sucker for delta green bus 8)
Looks to be a solid one. All the buses I look at on the samba from Carolina seem to be rotten.

Me too, love a Delta Green

TBH this one needed a few lower repairs / cab steps and floor / battery tray which have been blended in as best as could be done but it was within my budget. Albeit that budget has gone out the window now :lol: :lol: :lol:

The plan is to keep the microbus layout so I can carry all the kiddiwinkles, add some Z bed hinges for the rear seat to make a double bed and make it a bit less ratty on the inside. I'm going to recover the seats with TMI covers (thanks to VW Heritage for the discount ;) ) and recover the ply panels with a honolulu fabric from the states. I wasn't happy with the ply panels I bought and fitted last year hence the change.

So I started by getting some kiddy labour to empty the van

I saw this last year at the monthly custom car meet at Gateshead...really nice. When do the meets start again? :)

So, I started with the drivers and passenger seats

Had to evict the mice like ........... :shock:

Old covers off

Old horse hair was knackered so off with that too

Only one spring broken but otherwise good condition. Quick weld of the damaged spring and ready for the new foam. Unfortunately got no photo of the new foam but it was the TMI stuff.

Base done

Seat finished. Pretty pleased with the results

squirt72 said:
Lovely bus, like the name ! :D
Good work on the seats, they look superb.

Cheers.

Yes I'm pleased with the seats, but they still need a bit if bedding in / stretching to loose some of the creased bits. Should be fine after a few uses.

Not looking forward to the middle seat though :shock:

So as I'm adding twin carbs and the engine is out for a rebuild I thought I would swap out my old cloth braided hose with this new ethanol friendly R9 stuff. Ordered yesterday, arrived today.

Now my bus has a safety feature :lol:

So there's nowt on the telly and I'm on antibiotics so I can't drink much so might aswell attempt the middle seat recovering. Wasn't in bad condition to start with

Base first

Then the back

Typical. This was the last piece and I'm not happy with it. Last bloody bit. It went on too easy and just doesn't fit snuggly like the rest. The base fits fine but the back is just poor. Guess I'll have to call VW Heritage about it

So before I can refit the seats I still had a bit more of the old insulation to remove

I was planning to clean it all up and leave it in og paint but the road noise is a bit much so planning on fitting some sort of sound deadening / insulation.

Nice clean rear arches

I've read lots of posts on here but now more confused as to what to use :roll:

Was thinking flashband above the engine, down the rear wheel arch area and across the cargo floor with some 2mm silent coat to the door and side panels?? May add some further closed cell insulation to the cargo floor and above the engine bay.

Oh and gonna wax the cavities as recommended by my fellow Flat4dubs club members.

Latest posts