Elvis - My 69 Delta Green Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazingly I managed to wire up the towbar electrics on my own without any problems and it all worked first time :shock: :shock:

Fitted the socket just inside the engine bay out of the way of the weather.

Just taken delivery of a load of cable shrink wrapping so will tidy up all the electrics in the engine bay once back from the Bank Holiday weekend

Also fitted the middle seat. Still need to take the back rest cover off again and add some padding.

Not bad for a nights work.

Still progressing slowly.

Got the panel opposite the sliding door covered and installed tonight.

Still got the sliding door panel to make, cover and install plus the kick panels to cover.

Gettin there like

Off to MightyDubFest tomorrow in the van. Lookin forward to it :D

Looking great. Has given me some interior ideas too which I cant wait to crack on with once I get my pickup back from the guys at Midland Paintwerks. I have a few broken springs on my drivers seat, I saw that you just welded yours so will have to visit the father in law and get hime welding :)

Well, realised the MOT is due at end of the month, so this week I've mostly been in preparation for the MOT,

Spent Monday night adjusting the front brake drums. I think the front left drum is warped though as, after adjustment, when I turn the wheel it catches at one certain point. Could this be related to my slightly leaky wheel cylinder or will it be a warped drum. If it is a warped drum, do I need to replace a) both front drums or b) only one drum or c) only one drum and pads or d) both front drums and both sets of pads. Answers on a postcard please :D

Tuesday night I removed the knackered drivers door locking mechanism as it failed last year when the MOT inspector couldn't open the drivers door :lol: A bit of tinternet surfing revealed that the lock could be missing an ickle spring. And correct it was - missing spring. So with new spring in hand I cleaned up the locking mechanism and installed the little bugger. Wished I had smaller hands :rolf:

Last night I refitted said repaired locking mechanism and hey presto, a working drivers door that locks/unlocks with a key 8) :D

Then moved onto the passenger side but the bloody screws holding the lock in place were chewed to bits. So I'll need to buy some new ones before I drill the old out and replace the ickle spring.

However, whilst the door panels were off both sides I decided now would be a good time to replace the window slider guide, cavity wax the door inards and add my special door dampening material.

Now the doors close with a solid clunk. Just like a Golf :D

Added a bit of stickerage too 8)

Good work on the door locks, it's a job I keep putting off myself!

Mine are ok as long as the door trigger isn't pressed whilst its locked.

Any pics of doing that?

Have you put new engine lid hinges on, if so the one in the pic doesn't look quite right :?

mike202 said:
Good work on the door locks, it's a job I keep putting off myself!

Mine are ok as long as the door trigger isn't pressed whilst its locked.

Any pics of doing that?

Have you put new engine lid hinges on, if so the one in the pic doesn't look quite right :?

No pics Mike. I just used the link on the other thread you commented on.

Yes new engine lid hinges and they are the correct ones. Funny pic angle me thinks ;)

Washed the van today :shock: :? and took some photos for my insurance renewal. Then played around a bit with photobucket. nowt too artistic but different.

I did my door locks- so nice to have them working properly isn't it! :)

Your doors look really nice and clean on the inside.

I think the engine lid hinge may be missing a seal in the pic, that's all.

Few more additions

Breaker, breaker

Oh and as an alternative to one of those posh engine bay extinguisher systems, I fitted one of these

As long as I wear my sprinting shoes, I should be OK :lol: :lol: :lol:

And last week I mostly prepped 'Elvis' for his second UK MOT.

So Monday I adjusted the rear brakes and handbrake. The left rear handbrake didn't work much at all :shock: :shock:
Took it out for a spin Tuesday night, applied the brakes and nearly tore a ligament in my arm trying to stop it veering to the left. Bugger :evil: . Tried it a few more times then an emergency stop and it seemed to clear. Maybe some unbalanced shoes??? Went for a longer run trying the brakes over and over and all seemed good. Came to a halt nice and straight. Still got a little feedback from the brake pedal but not enough to worry the MOT man.

And Wednesday night I filled up the washer bottle, added a bit of air pressure and all working. Just need to remember to take my bike pump with me to the MOT station to top the air up before it all disappears again :lol: :lol:

Whilst checking over things I noticed my steering wheel is all cracked and that I've got a bit excessive play on my steering column. I ordered a Bluebird Customs steering column bush so had that to fit too :roll:

So I've fitted this little beauty to try and stop the excessive movement on my steering column.

Little assistance removing the wheel

New Bush in place

Spring going back on top

And all back together

And the Brucie bonus is that it's nice n tight now. Well worth the effort. I could do a full technical write up if anyone fancies attempting it.
Only down side is that I nipped the horn cable so will have to replace that at some point if I ever decide to use the original horn like.

New MOT with no advisories :D

So now thats sorted, I'm fitting my stash of extras

First up one of Aspros Rev counters that I got from marriedblonde. All fitted and wired in but not tested yet

Decided to use an auxiliary fuse box for the live feed to this, my oil pressure and temperature gauges and my CB

Well done on the MOT :)
Hope the rev counter works OK once hooked up!

New Year means New motivation. It is, after all, nearly show SEASON.

So, started fettling

New steering wheel and Simpson lap belts fitted. Got the full Simpson harnesses but not sure whether to fit the full lot.

Steering wheel was bought at Tynemouth Classic and the Simpson harnesses at Bug Jam so running a few (maybe 6'ish) months behind :lol: .

Next up is my new front end. 4" weedeater narrowed beam, Transporterhaus dropped spindles and Gabriel Air suspension (Cheers Sam).

Looks great, love the seat cover/panel cover colour combo. Out of curiosity, can you see the fuel gauge and rev counter with that wheel? I fitted a lovely wood rim to mine, spent ages making an adapter only to find I couldn't see half the gauges!! went to a large black Grant style, now its lovely.

TBH, it looked OK when I fitted it but I'll check it out.

As long as I can see the 7k on the rev counter, I'll know when to change gear :lol:

Latest posts