Elvis - My 69 Delta Green Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stevenhewkin91 said:
Cool cheers, that beam looks super low! Do you think you'll have issues that scraping? What beam is it you've bought?

Cheers

Yes, it's too low :lol: :lol: :lol: Can't even drive it as the arches are sat on the tyres. Need to raise it now :roll:

Its a wagenwest 4" narrowed beam with transporterhaus dropped spindles.

So, I raised it back up and it looked shit. So I decided to fit these

So thanks to some advice from Sam, I lowered the bottom adjuster and fitted the Gabriel's.

Finished fitting them tonight.

And this is the ride height at 80psi. Well sort of, as I used my bike pump :lol: :x 8)

Ran out of light but the bus raises and lowers. Hooray

Looking good mate.
I will be selling my viair 100c compressor any minuet if you want it.
Nice lit compress that's great for a 2 shock set up.

Thanks Mike.

Decided to take some measurements.
Zero psi

About 100 psi. My compressor will only go to 110psi.

So I'm only getting about 25mm of lift at 100psi. This should be an out the correct ride height so I'll do a trial run tonight. Will need to try a better compressor to realise the true lift potential.

Had a few runs out recently. Doesn't bottom out on bumps but still bounces around a lot.

I'll try a bit more air and see if that stiffens it up / reduces the bounce.

Trip out to the local club meet on Sunday.

The highs and low of bus ownership

Beetle variety............ soft, hard, old skool or offroad?

Any luck with increasing the pressure? I have almost exactly the same setup as you but haven't driven it yet, I was planning on driving around at 100 psi too but worried about it being too bouncy too

Running at about 140 but still a hard bouncy ride. It's much better fully laden with two upfront but don't have the time at the minute to keep trying different options.

not good, I thought the dropped spindles, airshocks combo would have made for a nice ride. Do you have your torsion leaves preloaded?

Hi guys don't mean to butt in on this but thought it might help a little.
I have just finished the air suspension on my bus and find the ride is great, my set up is as follows.
Top adjuster is as close to the gear change rod as pos
The bottom one is about 4 splines from the bottom, this puts the wheel just slightly touching the tubs when no air is on the shocks (165/55/15)
I drive at 100PSI - 130PSI depending on passengers.
I find that the ride is nice firm but not rock hard it has also greatly improved the amount of body roll I was getting through corners.

The rear (as this will make. difference to the front due to the weight being pitched into the front ) at present is down 2 splines and all the way in the adjusters drive with 100PSI-110PSI. I am looking at dropping down 1 more spline and upping the PSI as a bit of an experiment.

Each shock is fed and controlled individually which improved the ride hugely over 2014 version.

Cheers Sam.

I thought I had adjusted the adjusters seperately but will double check as my head has been mashed over the last few months due to being so busy at work and home.

Do you have extenders on the bottom shock mount?

No worries, dropped the rear of my bus another spline and the ride was to hard so I went back up a spline but this time I moved the lock nut on the adjuster to under the block the adjuster grub screw threads through, this gained me 7mm more drop, I wound the austere through until it had 2 clear threads then I tighten the lock nut and used some lock wire around it to ensure it won't come loose.

Great weekend away with amazing friends at Volkspower in Redcar.

Took the new trailer tent. Very 70's retro. Towed no problem, hardly noticed it. We'll happy.

Club group shot

thru_a_lupe said:
loving your bus! is that a boatyard 'hurst' bumper bar?

Cheers but the bus is long gone :cry:

But yes it's one of the Boat Yard Buses bumpers. I kept it for my crew cab though ;)

Latest posts