Engine bay temp

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benyon

Reaction score
While driving out of Madrid the other day ;) the temperature was around 40*c and sitting on the motorway at around 55mph the oil temp was constant around 110*c and while that was no concern (so I dont really know why I am telling you) I got to thinking about my Firetec which I belive activates around 79*c. If the OAT is 40* then this only gives 39* for the engine to increase the air temperature in the engine bay before lights start coming on, buzzers start going of and my vans starts to piss foam, and probably suck foam in through the carbs!?

While perhaps not quite a tech question I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on this? Obv while driving at 55mph there is a supply of fresh air in thru the vents to keep engine bay temp down, but at round-a-bouts or in town should I be concerned?

The engine bay temp should remain just slightly over that of the ambient temp maybe 10 degrees assuming the tinware and seals are complete and in good order, you have two huge air vents drawing in air from above and a fan ensuring that cool air is continuosly being drawn in and blown through the tin......

Latest posts