Engine Build/Buy Recommendations.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seamus1982

Reaction score
So on my way back from Devon today and a part of the crank shaft (I believe) has shot through the top of the engine. So now sat on the side of the M5 awaiting recovery. Need to get a new engine so was wondering what everyone's recommendations are. The block is done, so I am thinking of just buying a recon. I've seen JK and Heritage are between £1500 to £2000 for a recon 1600 so engine but recall people having issues with them.

What would you experienced peeps recommend? Or who would you recommend for a rebuild? I live in London but am around Hampshire quite a bit so local to these would be ideal.

Hopefully your suggestions might perk up an otherwise terrible day!

Cheers
S

thanks vinvan. have spoken to them this morning.

Anybody have any other recommendations or support vinvans?

Also, any thoughts on a cause? I was cruisng at around 55 on the motorway. service within the last 2000miles. oil topped up before we left 200 miles previous. had the van 6 years and had it serviced every 3-4000miles. always running pretty well.
My assumption is that it's just one of those things. The van is 47, engine has never been rebuilt in the 6 years I had it or the 3 years previous before being shipped over from the US. Quite possible that the engine has had very little work over its lifetime and a part of the crank has just failed due to end of life.

Just want to know if there was anything I could have done to avoid.

Thanks
S

Seamus1982 said:
My assumption is that it's just one of those things. The van is 47, engine has never been rebuilt in the 6 years I had it or the 3 years previous before being shipped over from the US. Quite possible that the engine has had very little work over its lifetime and a part of the crank has just failed due to end of life.

Just want to know if there was anything I could have done to avoid.

Thanks
S

What was the clock showing? In other words how many mile in total do you think the engine has done.

Davy,

The clock shows around 20,000 miles. So it has at least been round the clock once. We have a lot of history from it and in its time the owners seem to have driven around most of north america and canada. So, I would hazard a guess that it's been round the clock more than the once.

cheers

There's a guy down South Wales I would highly recommend, Tudor Morgan, he's a genius. FBI use him as a go to guy for engines. He worked for VW before retiring and currently runs a garage and workshop. He completely rebuilt our engine and I would highly recommend going to him even tho he's not local to you. Msg me and I'll pass his number on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a guy down South Wales I would highly recommend, Tudor Morgan, he's a genius. FBI use him as a go to guy for engines. He worked for VW before retiring and currently runs a garage and workshop. He completely rebuilt our engine and I would highly recommend going to him even tho he's not local to you. Msg me and I'll pass his number on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My good mate Hector Howe is the only engine builder I would trust, self taught but is the best in my opinion, reasonably priced too. Is in Suffolk though

Latest posts