Engine & carb choice,opinions please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yackaboo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to replace the old engine in my bus, having followed the recent threads on the forum about the quality/ reliability of some of the so called refurbished/ reconditioned engines on offer and the back up if anything should go wrong I have decided to go down the route of buying a brand new 1641TP SSP engine from a well known supplier ;) .
I know its going to cost me as my old engine was a SP so with have to get new tins etc.

I'm looking for some advice on the carb set up, should I go down the route of a single twin choke set up, or twin carbs, a lot of you guys run twin carb set up's, what about anybody with the twin choke option, is there much of a difference in performance? I'm not looking to break the land speed record just a bit more grunt on the flat and hills.What are the pros & cons of both set ups?

As a side note, my mate has a late bay with the 2ltr engine and had problems with his engine and it was decided to fit a replacement engine so the mechanic ordered a Vege engine from his supplier, when it arrived it was checked and found that studs were pulling out, mating faces were not flat and other problems, some work was done on it and then fitted, when it was road tested it wouldnt do over 40mph! the engine was pulled and sent back, when the replacement arrived it wasn't much better and wasn't worth fitting so that was sent back as well. In the end my mate is having his original engine rebuilt by the mechanic as he has lost faith in what is out there off the shelf.

Cheers for any advice

Mike

Hello there, going to open the batting on this one, there is a great deal of knowledge on here so hope someone helps you out that knows a deal more than me....

I run a home re-built 1641 with twin Empies. Blue coil, elctronic ignition and stainless fat-boy, won't say it's fast but it goes up hills, doesn't bog down when I pull away and sounds sweet to me...

Have a friend in the trade who had a few of those off the peg motors, he re-builds old units now as the others were shocking .......

Had a big thread about this recently on Late Bay

People bad mouthing off the shelf in general are tarring lots of companies with the same brush!

Yes there are some companies offering you crap units for cheap money, but there are also companies offering great quality units at good value for money, (i.e. not the cheapest)

My advice as always is dont just compare price but compare the quality of the parts used and the specs of the units as they vary wildly. Not all 1641cc engines are the same ;)

I would go twin carbs, mainly becuase more people are used to setting them up so you'll have an easier time of it than using a twin choke single carb.

I would seriously consider saving yourself the dosh and going for a 1600cc single port.

Or try and find a dead 1600TP that you can buy just to rob it of tinware etc.

Hope this helps,

Do feel free to give me a call:

01273 444 000

[email protected]

Latest posts