ENGINE CHUGS

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roybird

Reaction score
I cannot resolve this issue, the engine is sweet and all components checked or replaced; the engine ticks over well but unless you floor the throttle it chugs, it hates an open throttle
I have an after market carb properly set up and a spare original carb.
I'm sure it relates to fuel or supply

Sounds like the timing's not advancing to me. What distributor do you have?
i bought it from Schofields circa £42.00 I recorded a part number 111 905 205 but unsure if that related to what I bought; there is no vacuum advance though

If there’s no vac can , I’d imagine it’d be an 009 with a mechanical sprung advance. Might be worth opening up the dissy and just check that the springs or the counter weight are allowing the plate to move to advance. Just take a little peep and it should all be fairly easily moved almost without the weight of your finger pushing. I had this once where it had just got a bit rusty and grimy in there. Pretty sure it was the weight stuck on its pivot. A lot easier to see if you mark the dissy and lift him out but remember which way round it is.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,I’d forgotten that one :)

If there’s no vac can , I’d imagine it’d be an 009 with a mechanical sprung advance. Might be worth opening up the dissy and just check that the springs or the counter weight are allowing the plate to move to advance. Just take a little peep and it should all be fairly easily moved almost without the weight of your finger pushing. I had this once where it had just got a bit rusty and grimy in there. Pretty sure it was the weight stuck on its pivot. A lot easier to see if you mark the dissy and lift him out but remember which way round it is.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,I’d forgotten that one :)
OK I'll check that, thanks for your input; just to be clearer . . . floor the throttle no problem, idles fine, anything in between is awful until you get it up to speed on a settled throttle. VWH are promoting a SSP 034 Dizzy + 12v Electronic Ignition which refers to the problem I have? What puzzles me is how the existing Dizzy can work without the vacuum advance. I can't think its fuel as that would impact on all aspects above.

OK I'll check that, thanks for your input; just to be clearer . . . floor the throttle no problem, idles fine, anything in between is awful until you get it up to speed on a settled throttle. VWH are promoting a SSP 034 Dizzy + 12v Electronic Ignition which refers to the problem I have? What puzzles me is how the existing Dizzy can work without the vacuum advance. I can't think its fuel as that would impact on all aspects above.

Unless it’s a specific form of fuel starvation praps, like something intermittently blocking your fuel like a plastic bag getting sucked over the outlet or a hidden fuel filter that’s almost blocked. The dizzy you have, I think is an 009. This type of dissy was mainly used on static styled motors like pumps and generators etc etc. It was also taken onboard initially by some parts of the racing communities that required idle and flat out and for racing bangers it was spot on. In a van, it’s fairly similar in that mostly it’s idling then all power required to get that brick of a bus moving. But it does have advance inside the dizzy but it’s nowhere near as refined as an SVDA which I think is single vac, duel advance. There’s also several different jets in your carb for various stages of the revs and loads. Sounds like your idle jets are fine but might be worth cleaning out the rest and possibly look for spindle wear ? Did you have the same problem before you fitted the new carb ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,I’m grasping at straws here :)

Unless it’s a specific form of fuel starvation praps, like something intermittently blocking your fuel like a plastic bag getting sucked over the outlet or a hidden fuel filter that’s almost blocked. The dizzy you have, I think is an 009. This type of dissy was mainly used on static styled motors like pumps and generators etc etc. It was also taken onboard initially by some parts of the racing communities that required idle and flat out and for racing bangers it was spot on. In a van, it’s fairly similar in that mostly it’s idling then all power required to get that brick of a bus moving. But it does have advance inside the dizzy but it’s nowhere near as refined as an SVDA which I think is single vac, duel advance. There’s also several different jets in your carb for various stages of the revs and loads. Sounds like your idle jets are fine but might be worth cleaning out the rest and possibly look for spindle wear ? Did you have the same problem before you fitted the new carb ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,I’m grasping at straws here :)
Trouble is one ends up constantly changing or replacing things, as you quite rightly say one starts to grasp at straws. I have two carbs, one the original and one an aftermarket one, can't remember now which is on it.
If left for two long ( couple of weeks ) it takes a long time to start, then next day instant
i installed a one way valve to avoid fuel leak back to see if that helped, it didn't
Couple of weeks back it would not start at all, and no spark at the plugs; the coil had packed up, so it was resolved
The engine has been stripped and pistons increased in size so now it's circa 60bhp, and looks the part
I have two thoughts
At one point the fuel pump was replaced and the mechanic did admit some 'bits' had broken off and fallen down the inside
Secondly the carb had been on and off, perhaps the gasket has given up the ghost
I know you are trying to help, but this just makes driving it, so stressful . . . . I can live with the lack of power and how one has to drive with far more attention than a modern car ( I have a Golf R ) but . . .

So are you saying that you’ve had the same issue with both carbs ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,any other things changed :)
Hi
To be honest this has been going on so long, I have forgotten.
I suppose the logical thing would be:
Swap the Carbs
If no difference
Test the Distributor as you suggested
If no difference
Swap the Pump
If no difference
Give up!!

Latest posts