Engine conundrum

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr scoops

Reaction score
So. Split my case today to find that the recon engine I was rebuilding had a completely goosed case.
Wondering whether to simply buy a new case, get it full flowed, bolt on my 1641 pots and off I go, or, buy a case but make it 1776, or, do I simply buy a new engine, or buy a 'known' built engine.
Discuss and advise.....

Choices,choices. All depends how much or how little you want to spend. :?: :?: There's are big differences between buying new engine ,buying second hand engine, buying a new case, buying new case having it machined as well as new barrels and pistons and new heads. The choice is yours .
Robert

If you have buckets of money then fill your boots. If you have a big family and a trailer then it's worth having bigger cc's, if you use the bus for shows and the odd weekend then get a 2nd hand motor and enjoy using it 8)

You're right, but I want to know what I'm buying is good, hence I'm thinking of getting one built.
I like the idea of a 1776 or a 1915, but, I was perfectly happy with a 1584, albeit not with it chucking oil out the back and ripping when I parked it. LOL

A 1776 these days with twin 40s and an exhaust built with 'quality' parts will hit you around £6k, the parts have increased over the last couple of years. or see what turns up in the classified's, as long as you hear it running and there is no end float, and of course the price is right.... Even a new engine will have an element of a gamble about it as I found out 1st hand to my cost.

That's what I'm concerned about.
I don't want to spend that sort of money on an engine, the Mrs would go loopy!! Lol
I know for a known 1915 but the guy can't make his mind up.
If he won't sell it I think I'm going to buy a new case and rebuild with the stuff I've got

I may have some used heads that come from a case cut for 90.5 mm barrels, so 1776cc and up, original VW Type 1 part number, I have little info on them other than the guy who stripped the motor said they was worth holding on to and if I sell them they are worth couple of hundred quid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New case, bolt on and get using it.
Unless your main focus is a fast bus then getting it running and usable is the most important factor, in my opinion.

Taken from the gallery thread;-
I finally pulled my finger out and took the case to my mates this morning.

With the case split his initial prognosis was good. Everything looked as it should.

Out with the crank assembly

However. When we looked at the bearings it seems that the expression I was looking for was 'Bollocks'!

The main bearing journals at the flywheel end of the case were so knackered they seemed to have been shimmed just to be able to get the oversize bearing in.

So, in a nutshell the case is toast, and it leaves me with a decision.
Do I buy a brand new case, (so I know that the journals are pukka), get bearings and reassemble, or do I look around and see if I can buy a built up longblock, but from a reputable engine builder?

Engine sorted.
Should be picking a new one up in about 2-3 weeks.
YAY!

Got a 1641cc.
Here's what the fella has got back to me with when I asked for some background.

I originally took the vw 1300 longblock from a mate who was looking for more power and purchased a replacement 1600. It sat in his garage for a few years so I completely stripped it and started again, I had the block and crank checked over by a local engineering company (T & L Engineering Elstow)(who also balanced my race engine parts) The crank was within tolerance, the case had been align bored and was also good, so it was tapped for full flow and cleaned.
I then rebuild it with new and good used parts from my stock, some parts I have receipts for others have been in my storage bins waiting to be used!
I spent many hrs putting it together, using the same checks as my 2276 turbo unit.
I will not sell it until I'm 100 % happy, I'm hoping to run in the cam over the weekend although, the in-laws land on Friday and I fly out to Seville for a week on Monday.
Once run in, I'll recheck the valve clearances etc before letting run and check oil pressure and head temps etc.

Arse-biscuits.
Engine purchase fell through.

Fair do's, the guy was honest and said he wasn't happy that it was 100%.

Doesn't stop me being a bit gutted. Back on the hunt now. :(

Can your case be saved by machining? if so work with it, a 1641 wouldn't break the bank to build.....

1776 is a lovely engine but if you want to keep the cost down go 1641 or 1600.

A friend of mine is an engine builder and has a 1776 for sale on his shelf, would you like his number ?

Yes please Sam.

The old case is toast and has been skipped Mikey.

Whistler, I have been looking but doesn't seem to be much about at the moment. Thing is, I do want to keep the cost down if possible but don't want to buy something that's going to give me loads of issues.

Found a 1776 via SSVC page on BookFace.

This leaves me with a couple of questions for you clever engine peeps....

On my 1584 I ran a Bugpack breather, but have also got a CB tower breather at home.
Any suggestions on one over the other?

The new 1776 is going to run a 110 cam, so with this in mind I'm thinking that stock 1.1/1 rockers will be adequate rather than the 1.25/1 I had planned to fit to the other engine.
Do they compromise reliability etc?

Finally, I have a CSP bell crank linkage that I used on with my ICT's, is this going to work with my IDF's or do I need to change it?

Latest posts