Engine conversion Type 1 or Type 4 engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browny

Reaction score
Just had the bus on it's first camping outing. It's fitted with a 1600TP standard engine and was terrible uphill although it was loaded up! I have a Type 4 engine in the garage, what would be the best option? Sort the Type 4 engine out with upright cooling etc or rebuild the 1600 possibly making it 1776? :)

Rebuild the 1600 and make it 1776, small cam, bigger valve heads and either a progressive 2 barrel carb or dual carbs. 8)

It will fit right back in the engine compartment and cost less than the T4. ;)

How much worse would the fuel consumption be with a 1776? Is it sensible to go with one of the 'kits' to convert to 1776 or spec the components individually?

browny said:
How much worse would the fuel consumption be with a 1776? Is it sensible to go with one of the 'kits' to convert to 1776 or spec the components individually?

Probably not any worse - depending on components selected cam, carbs, heads etc & also on how you drive it after the upgrades ;)
I hear fitting Dellorto 36 DRLAs is a good upgrade to a stock 1600 - might be worth trying this first you can always perform the other upgrades if still not satisfied - a quick rejet/choke of the carbs & job done.
There are a couple of guys on here with this or similar setups - I'm pretty sure Clem has a 1600TP with DRLAs.

Latest posts