Engine cuts out when idling! Any ideas?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cakey666

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help with my engine problem. My van starts first time and when im reving it, the van is fine but as soon as i take my foot off the pedal, it cuts out. It just wont idle. Its just a stock engine with stock single carb.
Any ideas?

Thanks Cakey

hi there, it don`t sound terminal,,,,,,,, if I was a betting man, I`d be betting on the points or a blocked idle jet. My money is on the idle jet. Have you run it down to very low on juice lately ?? Have you got a fuel filter ? It could be one of a few things but that`s where I`d start and look at the air filter whilst it`s off. Somebody with more brains than me will come along shortly,, I`m off up the pub but I`ll check in when I get back.. :shock: :lol: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, Sniffing for Stella :roll: ;) :roll:

Hi!

Could be the fuel cut off solenoid on the side of the carb, it's connected via the coil IIRC, could be a loose wire, or just a duff solenoid on the carb, you should be able to hear a faint click when the engine is not running if you touch the wire on the solenoid on and off, maybe even a small spark, if nothing, there;s the problem. If you have a spare carb, try swapping the solenoid over.

Have a look here:

http://www.vw-resource.com/fuellinks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!

Alistair

also check all you gaskets on the carb and inletmanifold if they are perrished then you could be sucking in more air than you need when it gets too idle this they upsets the mixture. well that what was wrong with mine anyway

aogrady said:
Hi!

Could be the fuel cut off solenoid on the side of the carb, it's connected via the coil IIRC, could be a loose wire, or just a duff solenoid on the carb, you should be able to hear a faint click when the engine is not running if you touch the wire on the solenoid on and off, maybe even a small spark, if nothing, there;s the problem. If you have a spare carb, try swapping the solenoid over.

Have a look here:

http://www.vw-resource.com/fuellinks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!

Alistair

i totally agree ,

Thanks for your quick responses. My carb gasket between base and engine was wet, so bought carb rebuild kit and changed gaskets and cleaned jets, but still no luck. I will try solenoid and check points today,
regards
Cakey

I'm with Chris & Alistair on this one - 1st stop = fuel cut of solenoid.had it ona bug once with a crack in the wire.
let us all know once you've cured it! cheers - Rob

Hi everyone
I tried solenoid and this was working, then checked points and were slightly out at 0.3mm so reset those to 0.4mm. I also read the link above and stripped carb again and located the pilot/idle jets that I'd previously missed, so took those out, the idle jet was full of crud and fluff, soaked in thinners to break down crud blown out with comp air. Carb rebuilt and fired up with a splutter and now running okay.
Thank you for all your replies, as its greatly appreciated,
Regards,
Cakey

cakey666 said:
Hi everyone
I tried solenoid and this was working, then checked points and were slightly out at 0.3mm so reset those to 0.4mm. I also read the link above and stripped carb again and located the pilot/idle jets that I'd previously missed, so took those out, the idle jet was full of crud and fluff, soaked in thinners to break down crud blown out with comp air. Carb rebuilt and fired up with a splutter and now running okay.
Thank you for all your replies, as its greatly appreciated,
Regards,
Cakey

Hi!

Yay!! Well done, great when it all works as it should, glad you are up and running again!
Nice one!

Alistair

Latest posts