Engine keeps cutting out??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Reaction score
Hope someone can help. My Devon Moonraker 71 AD twin port. When driving my engine cuts out and dies. The alternator and oil light are on. I switch of the ignition, turn the key and I have no oil light or alternator light and the fuel gauge doesn't work but the starter motor will engage and turn yet the engine won't start......any ideas?

I have just had the engine re built by local garage and had pertronix electronic ignition fitted but they are closed for weekend. Seems like something is loose somewhere?

Thanks

The first thing I would check is see if there is power to the coil with the ignition on. By the sound of it there wont be.

Check the connections on the coilt are clean and tight.

Next check the fuses in the fuse holder are clean and free of corrosion.

If they check out as ok then its time to use a meter or test light to check power is reaching the ignition switch and that it comes out again when switched on.

Thanks Trikky will start there. I did have a relay put in for the alternator, not sure whether that could be an issue. Strange thing is that the starter motor turns the engine over but it does seem that there is no power to the ignition. Will have a bash tomoz and let you know how I get on.

Watty said:
Thanks Trikky will start there. I did have a relay put in for the alternator, not sure whether that could be an issue. Strange thing is that the starter motor turns the engine over but it does seem that there is no power to the ignition. Will have a bash tomoz and let you know how I get on.

Ok let me know how it goes. The fact the starter turns means power is getting to the ignition switch but the circuit for the starter and the ignition are different so there could be a fault in the switch or in the post switch fuse or the connection on the coil. Hence why you need to check the things mentioned earlier :)

Trikky it looks like its the ignition barrell. Checked all connections, checked all fuses. Took steering rack apart, fiddled about with ignition wiring and put back together and BINGO. We got the oil and alternator lights back. What I may do is get it checked for dry solder joints, maybe change the ignition barrell. Thanks for your help

I had the exact same symptoms on my bus. It turned out to be a slightly corroded fuse (for ignition circuit/coil I guess) in my fuse box that wasn't always functioning. I cleaned it up with a bit of emery cloth and tightened up the terminals with a bit of careful bending and problem sorted.

I love these simple fixes :D .

Watty said:
Trikky it looks like its the ignition barrell. Checked all connections, checked all fuses. Took steering rack apart, fiddled about with ignition wiring and put back together and BINGO. We got the oil and alternator lights back. What I may do is get it checked for dry solder joints, maybe change the ignition barrell. Thanks for your help

Glad to hear you found the fault ok :)

Latest posts