Engine lid bolts (classic subject)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Htotheunit

Reaction score
Hello,

I have seized bolts holding the engine bay hinges on. Tried drilling them out with no luck so it's time for plan B as I think the captive nuts will need replacing given how seized everything is up there.

I was wondering if it's possible to access them from the back (I haven't removed the insulation as of yet) or is it a case of cutting an access panel out so I can get to them?

I know, I could just go outside and have a look but it's raining :lol:

Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately you have to cut the bodywork to access them from inside. Had to do mine recently.

That said, it was only a fairly small 'flap' which should be easy enough to make good afterwards.

Fisher said:
Unfortunately you have to cut the bodywork to access them from inside. Had to do mine recently.

That said, it was only a fairly small 'flap' which should be easy enough to make good afterwards.

Yeah that was my thought, I'll get the insulation out tomorrow and cut an access hole, hope I have some bolts knocking around the right size!

Any pictures of how bad it is? I had to use an impact screw driver and penetrating oil to remove mine. They weren't really rusty just seized in after years. If thats no good what about a screw extractor or left hand drill bits?

With a fairly small hole (easier repair) you should be able to get a nozzle or tube in there to flood it with your choice of rust loosener penetrating fluid. Apart from dripping for a bit, I don’t think it can do any harm at all. If you did it neat enough you should be able to put a small bung in. :p

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,might do that mod meself, mines coming off this decade :mrgreen:

mike202 said:
Any pictures of how bad it is? I had to use an impact screw driver and penetrating oil to remove mine. They weren't really rusty just seized in after years. If thats no good what about a screw extractor or left hand drill bits?

I'm quite embarrassed at the state of it to be honest :lol:

Let's just say screw extractors were no match. I'm about to go out armed with a dremel, they're coming out today wether they like it or not :lol:

Thought I'd update you. Left hand side came out with 'gentle' persuasion. Right hand side? No chance.

I've cut an access panel and pulled out the captive nut metal strip thing, realising it far too seized to get the now headless screws out, i've taken a grinder to my old engine lid (rusty and dented so probably no good to anyone, got a new one ready to go) and removed the hinge attachment from there which is very similar, going to cut it down, get it in the space where i pulled the old one from, bend some more metal and move on.

Sounds a bit like i'm butchering the poor girl but there was no other option, I really made a meal of the screw extraction haha!

mike202 said:
Well you can't make an omlette without cracking some eggs !

Nice work. If you can weld a bit, or know someone that can, then I'm sure it will look better soon. :)

Yeah I've been learning to weld, got a chap round to start the project and teach me how to get things done a few months ago, i'm flying solo now!

mike202 said:
Use ‘hotlink for forums’ link for bigger pics [emoji106]

How do you go about finding ‘hotline for forums’?
I’m using an iPad.

Gjb4212 said:
mike202 said:

I’m using an iPad.

Using Postimage site.

You need to create a free account on the Postimage site, and then upload your pictures on it.

Then select your pic that you want to post on the forum.

Look for the 'share' button and choose 'hotlink for forums' option. This is the last but one choice.

Click on the clipboard symbol on the right to copy the link.

In your post, paste the link. I use this on my lap top. That's how I do it anyway. :)

If you just use the 'add image to post' with the 'p' in the blue box beneath the 'post a reply' window, you only seem to get a small image in your post.

On Ipad or mobile phone, I would imagine it's the same, but I'm using the Tapatalk app. So I simply use that application, and you just select large, medium or small size pic when posting from this.

mike202 said:
Gjb4212 said:
mike202 said:

I’m using an iPad.

Using Postimage site.

You need to create a free account on the Postimage site, and then upload your pictures on it.

Then select your pic that you want to post on the forum.

Look for the 'share' button and choose 'hotlink for forums' option. This is the last but one choice.

Click on the clipboard symbol on the right to copy the link.

In your post, paste the link. I use this on my lap top. That's how I do it anyway. :)

If you just use the 'add image to post' with the 'p' in the blue box beneath the 'post a reply' window, you only seem to get a small image in your post.

On Ipad or mobile phone, I would imagine it's the same, but I'm using the Tapatalk app. So I simply use that application, and you just select large, medium or small size pic when posting from this.

Tried it from iPad and works.
Thanks for your help

Latest posts