Engine not firing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd suggest you've possibly knocked the timing out. If it ran before, but not now, it'd be very unlikely to be anything other than having knocked a wire off or disturbed something that should be fixed.

Gently see if you can turn the distributor by hand (mark the current position it is in first!) If you can move it, then chances are the timing is out. Easiest way to reset is with an adjustable advance strobe timing gun, although you should be able to get it to run with one person cranking, and the other slowly turning the dizzy one direction or the other (likelihood is that it wouldn't have moved far).

Just a thought Bud, when you put the fuel in the top of the carb/s did you hit the starter immediately, like within two seconds ???
Any chance that the fuel has been contaminated, perhaps with diesel or something else???

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, still thinking out loud. :mrgreen:

Ok sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I just checked the compression and I'm getting nothing ?

Similar problem here to be fair.

New fuel tank and lines installed and the twat won’t start.

Turns over fine. I get some petrol coming out of line to carb, but I’m wondering if the ‘squirt’ is enough. Anyone got a link to a video showing how much ‘squirt’ to expect?

Is there an ignition fuse as such? Thought it was just straight wired? Sorry to crash a thread, but similar to mine.

'68 Single Cab
'71 Danbury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Steve.
If you get a 1.5—-2L empty water bottle and lay it on its side in the noisey cupboard with the pipe from the carb inserted about an inch, the ejaculation on vinegar strokes should hit the bottom of the bottle or there about. If it’s just dribbling out then your pump is toast or there’s something stopping the pump pumping the fuel like a blocked line or filter or tank etc. Age of pump is oh so irrelevant here as the newer they are then the less likely they are to perform as it were. Go careful when doing all of this and a cold noisey cupboard is best especially with weather like we got right now.
Disable your ignition circuit before you try this and a glamorous assistant is usually required :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,. Yessss, summer is here and rockin :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Hi Steve.
If you get a 1.5—-2L empty water bottle and lay it on its side in the noisey cupboard with the pipe from the carb inserted about an inch, the ejaculation on vinegar strokes should hit the bottom of the bottle or there about. If it’s just dribbling out then your pump is toast or there’s something stopping the pump pumping the fuel like a blocked line or filter or tank etc. Age of pump is oh so irrelevant here as the newer they are then the less likely they are to perform as it were. Go careful when doing all of this and a cold noisey cupboard is best especially with weather like we got right now.
Disable your ignition circuit before you try this and a glamorous assistant is usually required :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,. Yessss, summer is here and rockin :mrgreen:

I’ll see if I’ve time to check later tonight then. Tried the other day, and some did come through.

It’s a pain. New tank and lines and can’t see why it won’t start. I know it’s not quite as gravity fed at first (it’s a single cab so tank not as high). I’ve got half a tank of fresh fuel. Just wonder if I’ve crushed the new tank outlet by overtightening - can’t see how though.

'68 Single Cab
'71 Danbury

Have you got an in line fuel filter? If you have check which way round it is connected, there should be an arrow pointing the direction the fuel should flow. If it's the wrong way round it could impede the fuel.

gagvanman said:
Have you got an in line fuel filter? If you have check which way round it is connected, there should be an arrow pointing the direction the fuel should flow. If it's the wrong way round it could impede the fuel.

Nope, ditched it. Got an in-tank filter as part of the new setup. Might add one in future, but as it stands not needed.

Getting a new garage door fitted on Thursday, so need it out of the way. Suppose at this rate, I’ll have to push it out. Other than that, not in a massive rush, but it’s annoying.

'68 Single Cab
'71 Danbury

Traced it back to the tank outlet. Not letting anything but a drip through. Blown through pipe back to engine and that’s clear. Got a spark from plug 1 so that’s good enough for me.

It’s a new tank with a new outlet and plastic filter on top..... any ideas? I’ve 1/2 a tank of fresh 97 Ron Ethanol free petrol in and I really can’t be arsed to drain it again. [emoji24]

'68 Single Cab
'71 Danbury

What does your in tank filter look like?
I replaced the brass sock type filter in mine recently is it like that?
a6916ce9a822b8ed26cdd4ec39966875.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mike202 said:
What does your in tank filter look like?
I replaced the brass sock type filter in mine recently is it like that?
a6916ce9a822b8ed26cdd4ec39966875.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No it’s the white plastic type with a fine gauze over it. Empi one (all that I could get). Seemed to be ok quality. Something has happened to it - kinked or something and therefore restricting flow to a drip. [emoji849][emoji2373]

'68 Single Cab
'71 Danbury

Sorted it.

The S/S braised hose must have internally snagged or kinked when pushed into the fuel outlet pipe. Removed it and it flowed straight out. Externally it looked fine - but remember it being a tight fit.

Syphoned the tank out with a hand barrel pump from Machine Mart and sorted.

Runs sweet again now.

Thanks for comments etc. [emoji1417]

'68 Single Cab
'71 Danbury

I think that’s the problem with braided hoses they look nice but you can’t see the bit that matters ie the rubber pipe inside.
Glad you got it sorted though. [emoji3]

Latest posts