Engine oil breather pipe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobtronics

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently bought a 1972 van :D and would like some advice on oil breather pipes. Below is a picture of the engine and the oily engine lid.

engine.jpg

enginelid.jpg

As you can see there is no breather pipe on the oil filler. I am assuming that normally the oil breather would connect to the air filter, is this right? I think the air filter I have isn't the standard VW one and I am guessing the tube at the bottom, of the filter, should connect to the Oil filler.

Could someone give me some advise on whether I should fit a connection pipe and if not should I block off the one on the the air filter as it is bypassing the filter :eek:

If i need a connection pipe, could you recommend where I get one from as well please?

Yes - you need to connect a pipe between the oil filler and that crappy aftermarket pancake air filter. It will stop the oil pissing out of your crank seal and other parts because VW engines are designed to run with slightly negative crankcase pressure.
BUT - as the weather gets cooler and damper you will get manifold icing and flat spots. Your engine is designed to have a stock oil filled air filter with a warm air pick up that is controlled by a flap valve connected to the thermostatic valve at the top of the air filter. There's a long thread by Dickovski on the JK technical forum that explains how all this works and gives diagrams of all the pipes. So you need to buy a stock air filter and a so-called 'stove pipe' that fits under your rhs rear tinware.

All the tubing you need is available from the usual suppliers like JK, Heritage, Cool Air etc

Hope this helps
Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the Info. It looks quite different to mine!

Cheers, Rob.

http://www.justkampers.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=156719&p=2203535&hilit=dickovski#p2203535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts