Engine Oil Pressure

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piggy

Reaction score
Hi guys
Just finished fitting a recon engine after the previous one failed after a mile due to a nipped up bearing and as I was very concerned about oil pressure I have fitted a VDO oil pressure gauge as well as the existing warnign light.

So when I start the engine up it will rise to 25psi then on revving will increase to 35-38psi. However, once hot (after idling for about 10minutes the oil pressure drops off to around 10-15psi at idle (900rpm).

This seems really low to me..... Is this normal??

Thanks in advance

James

Ive got a newly rebuilt 1641 with around 200 miles on. On start-up its just over 2 bar (around 35 psi), and then settles once warmed to around 2 bar (30 psi) or just below. I believe this is about right.

what grade oil-ade you running?

vdo dual senders are a bit flaky as are most of their aftermarket stuffs.
Have you got aux stuffs running i.e. full flow? cooler? when you installed the pump did you check the cover tolerance on the pump?

having said all that, mine runs 1 bar @900 rpm and always has done when hot on 15w40 oil
wallpaper_tinny-tim-oil-ade_by-bman2006.jpg

Thanks guys

It is an electronic VDO gauge yes (SiDev - is your gauge a capillary or electronic?). As for the oil I'm running Morris's 30w and have external oil filtration so have upped my oil level to 3.25litres.

Pump was fitted by engine builder...

Hope this helps.

I had a quick google and it appears some others are saying theirs run at 10psi.???

Cheers

James

You shouldn't be using a single grade oil... That won't do you any favours at normal engine operating temps...

15/40 or 20/50 is where you should be!!

piggy said:
Thanks guys

It is an electronic VDO gauge yes (SiDev - is your gauge a capillary or electronic?). As for the oil I'm running Morris's 30w and have external oil filtration so have upped my oil level to 3.25litres.

Pump was fitted by engine builder...

Hope this helps.

I had a quick google and it appears some others are saying theirs run at 10psi.???

Cheers

James

Mine is an electronic gauge, not sure how accurate it is but it stays pretty steady, doesn't jump around at all.

Thanks SiDev - running with around 3.4litres and it seems more steady now.

Paul,
My understanding was that the air cooled VW engines run best on single grade as multigrade goes too thin at the higher running temperatures over a water cooled. 15/40 in my opinion would run too thin when hot, I did run a 20/50 on an old engine but had a bearing failure so have returned to SAE30.

I will be doing a proper run in on this engine so it will be serviced after first 500 miles, then after next 1,000 (or probably 500).

Thanks,
James

piggy said:
Thanks SiDev - running with around 3.4litres and it seems more steady now.

Paul,
My understanding was that the air cooled VW engines run best on single grade as multigrade goes too thin at the higher running temperatures over a water cooled. 15/40 in my opinion would run too thin when hot, I did run a 20/50 on an old engine but had a bearing failure so have returned to SAE30.

I will be doing a proper run in on this engine so it will be serviced after first 500 miles, then after next 1,000 (or probably 500).

Thanks,
James

Here are a few things to look at regarding oil an viscosity etc:

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here:

http://www.vw-resource.com/engine_oil.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SA30 is 30 at low temperature, thick, and not as fluid for quick lubrication on cold sat up, where as a 5W30 is thick (30) at running temp, but has the equivalent of a SAE5 at cold temp, hence the W, hich is better for initial start up lubrication, which is one reason why a multigrade is better, now that these modern oils have been developed over a straight grade...

Though saying that, the additives in multigrade to improve viscosity will break down over time/heat/etc and will make your oil thinner at the higher temps, so you may end up with a equivalent to SAE10, not as good.....

The W is for winter/cold use, which will give us more protection in our cold UK climate, whereas, technically you should change the SAE30 for winter use/season change.

Personally, I have a decent multigrade 20W40 20W50, and change it regularly, this oil is pretty cheap, I have used SAE30 before, no problems with it, or multigrade, I can't see how running a multigrade would cause a engine to fail, unless it was degrading over time/heat/contaminants etc and running too thin..

I think the only reason why a straight grade was recommended at the time, is that this was the only thing available, as the then commercially available multi grades weren't reliable, the later bays use multigrade from 1975

So IIRC, in theory, a 20W50 will give better protection starting from cold, and better at running temperatures, though will likely to thin out at extended intervals due to the breakdown of the additives, but as you will b changing at around say 3k+ it is unlikely to be a problem.

Though aside to the standard viscosity ratings, there are many oils designed to work better on certain types of engines, such as roller bearing engines as well as air cooled, and then you have the mineral/semi/fully synthetic argument too....

Not wishing to turn this into a oil thread though..... ;) :lol:

Alistair

And also vw changed the oil recommendation to multigrade oil (20/40) in the 70s

I find it quite disappointing that suppliers still sell sae30 oil along with "unleaded conversion kits"

Although I've not looked too hard recently to see if the latter is still true :lol:

Sorry guys, thanks for the clarification, and apologies - I was being stupid on my previous post regards thin oil at high temperatures. I was thinking of synthetic oils and where I have read they are not suited to old VW aircooled motors as they can breakdown.

So back to oil pressure lights, gauges and oil pressure. I have done a good run 20miles in the van now with the new motor and after a run down the bypass upon returning to idle the oil pressure light comes on. Rev the engine and it goes, let it return to idle and it's back on again. So here is my predicament: -

With external oil filtration do I need to fit an upreated oil pump?
Has the recon engine just been built badly (for the second time!) or got dodgy oil pressure relief valves fitted.
Is the VDO twin sender unit overly sensitive - could tell this by retro fitting original sender temporarily.

Hopefully someone can help,

Thanks in advance,

James

Hey james,You could re-install the OEM sender for the light and see if it come on ? if so,, up grade the pump to 26mm ;) over here I run 30t Brad Penn because of the zink levels are right for flat tappet motors ;)

Thanks Mike,
I actually did that last night and incidentally it is a lot less sensitive. The oil pressure light came on on start-up, rev’d it and it went out then didn’t come back on. To be 100% sure I have ordered a mechanical/capillary gauge to run temporarily to see if the VDO electric gauge sender unit it not calibrated correctly.

I will keep you posted.

How is your oil pressure with the new pump?

Cheers,
James

Its pretty widely reported that VDO twin senders need more PSI to switch the oil light off! I have the twin sender for my gauge but also a T piece into which I have installed the original pressure switch. I have no oil light problems with this config.

Neil

Latest posts