Engine problems. Idling mainly.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleeb1

Reaction score
My van will run fine for 5 minutes, then will die when I come to a stop. Starts up again easy enough, but won't idle when slowing again.
Also when I started it this morning, it was revving its bollocks off!

Checked some basics, fuses, fuel filter, connections to the fuel cut off valve.

I'm not sure what to do with the points gap, I know it's me t to be 0.4mm, but I don't really know where the gaps ment to be?

Not sure what I'm doing. Help! :mrgreen:

fleeb1 said:
I'm not sure what to do with the points gap, I know it's me t to be 0.4mm, but I don't really know where the gaps ment to be?

Not sure what I'm doing. Help! :mrgreen:

The gap should be between the electric contact points in the distributor.

points-1.jpg

The arm (upper RHS) is opened and closed by the square(ish) cam profile on the shaft. You need to check the gap between the contacts when the cam is holding the points furthest open. :)

points-2.jpg

Pictures borrowed from here:

http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html#distributor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What air filter does your van have, and has it always had this problem? Is it worst in cold and damp weather? :)

You might find this page useful too:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system4.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tahnks mate. It's a pancake air filter. Still the same today, so the temp doesn't seem to affect it.

Points all ok. Still not right.
Yeah got the Bentley manual. I'll have to read up.

Not sure about the choke element.

Maybe an air leak, got the same problem on mine, and its looking like an air leak, just not found it yet!

Thanks Neil. I'll see what I can find on Wednesday.

Good with yours.

If your points are ok? could it be inlet manifold icing?
single carb. the manifold pre heater pipe could be blocked. if you feel the manifold, just beneath the carb and its clap cold this could be the problem. when the engine stops the heat from the engine defrosts the manifold and the van runs fine again? worth a look, remedy. new manifold, could be worse! good luck

Latest posts