Engine spec

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemur

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
So I'm thinking of getting an engine built and wanted some opinions / advice. Currently running the same 1600sp that's always been in my bus, now don't get me wrong it's a good reliable runner, I keep on top of the maintenance and over the past 10yrs there have been very few issues.

HOWEVER! with the bus exterior and interior largely completed except a few little personal 'wants', the time has come where I want much more power, I want a quick 0-60, to laugh at that upcoming hill, even overtake an average car! :lol:

I've a possible engine builder in mind and by the end of this season (still much camping to do) should have healthy funding. And best of all.. the blessing of the wife!

So come on guys...what spec do I sound like I'm talking about?

Liam.

p.s not a scooby conversion

Well, the most respected person with mechanical intellect and a real grounding in VWs IMHO was a chap by the name of Tricky. He had that early bay for quite a while and I think it was about two or three years old when he bought it from the dealer he worked for as a VW mechanic . He eventually went for a torquer and sought some serious advice from some well known names and I'm sure as sure can be that he put a bit of detail on here somewhere. He's now sold it and the new owner is also a member on here. But might be worth looking up as a starting point for a reference.

Ozziedog,,, ', , I like that line, " To laugh at up coming hills " :lol:

You staying aircooled or would you consider the watercooled dark side??

Just seen your ps!! lol

All depends how much you have to spend....anything over 130hp you'll be looking at 6-7 grand minimum and don't forget you'll need a stronger gearbox.

My engine is over 180hp and that's come to the best of 10k with the box and all the other stuff for it.

Fast, reilable and cheap. You can only pick 2

Ozzie, thanks for the tip, I shall indeed have a good butchers at the link ta

Stu, yep staying flat4 till i die lol

K@rlos, Money is not an issue since I've till winter to save, My question is I guess more technical.. like what spec will give me what I'm looking for??

Cheers guys.

Spent all day today polishing the bus today,even the wife helped out :msn4: off to the new forest for a week next Sunday (with a little detour to see U2 at Twickenham enroute :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

B&P's? Carbs? Cam? Case.... just looking for ideas= excited

lemur said:

K@rlos, Money is not an issue since I've till winter to save, My question is I guess more technical.. like what spec will give me what I'm looking for??

Cheers guys.

Spent all day today polishing the bus today,even the wife helped out :msn4: off to the new forest for a week next Sunday (with a little detour to see U2 at Twickenham enroute :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you want something that's still very useable for camping you'll have to compromise a little on power. I'd say 2007cc or 2110cc, Engle W120 cam, 1.25 rockers, decent heads with 40x35.5 stainless valves, 8.5 comp and some twin 44's. Will make 135-140hp and still be nice to drive around town.

K@rlos said:
lemur said:

Cheers guys.

If you want something that's still very useable for camping you'll have to compromise a little on power. I'd say 2007cc or 2110cc, Engle W120 cam, 1.25 rockers, decent heads with 40x35.5 stainless valves, 8.5 comp and some twin 44's. Will make 135-140hp and still be nice to drive around town.

Thanks!...that's the kind of thing I was looking for.. after all I do want to keep using and camping, but 135-140hp sound like a dream :D

My engine before I upgraded it was 170hp and still good round town, with the new spec I'm hoping for 180hp + but I accept it will be a bit harsher round town.

I know 140 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things but remember you've been used to 50hp with stock engine, so it's 3 times a stock lump nearly. You'll be surprised how well it goes with that amount in the back. If you want lots of torque then deffo go with a stroker as a stroker cranks isn't really much more cost wise that a decent aftermarket 69mm crank

K@rlos said:
All depends how much you have to spend....anything over 130hp you'll be looking at 6-7 grand minimum and don't forget you'll need a stronger gearbox.

My engine is over 180hp and that's come to the best of 10k with the box and all the other stuff for it.

Fast, reilable and cheap. You can only pick 2

What exhaust system are you using mate?

K@rlos said:
My engine before I upgraded it was 170hp and still good round town, with the new spec I'm hoping for 180hp + but I accept it will be a bit harsher round town.

I know 140 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things but remember you've been used to 50hp with stock engine, so it's 3 times a stock lump nearly. You'll be surprised how well it goes with that amount in the back. If you want lots of torque then deffo go with a stroker as a stroker cranks isn't really much more cost wise that a decent aftermarket 69mm crank

1 5/8 merged header and a dynomax muffler. Old skool stuff, none of this vintage speed rubbish :lol:

Latest posts