Engine tin question.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clyde

Reaction score
Can anyone help.

Im currently running a 1600SP, but have a 1600TP from a Beetle that i am going to rebuild and fit in my bus. Its got the required bolt holes as its a later multi use case but my question concerns the tin.

The Beetle engine came complete with all its tin but which pieces of tin will i have to change to get the engine into my bus.
Also ive got some of those T3 style cool tins knocking around the garage some place and was wondering if they are worth fitting or not. (they are sold as up dates to T1/T2 cooling)

I imagine the rear piece will need to be changed? If so can i use the rear tin that is currently on my bus? I cant look at my bus at the moment for comparison as im getting ready to go back to sea and the bus is safely locked away.

Cheers folks. Be prepared for some engine cc, cams, fuel pump and oil pump etc questions.

Hi!

I have a bug TP in my bus too, you will need either the gearbox end, tin conversion plate from one of the guys on here, forgotten his name again, but there is a thread on TP tinware. AFAIK the pulley tin is fine, at least mine seems ok

You can use the SP rear tin, but will need to cut out a hole for the doghouse oil cooler vent pipe, which may well be cheaper than locating a 71 only TP tin which go for silly money. Not too sure if the tin around the cooler is the same - I have some bits missing on mine like the flaps and lower cooler bit, and the wrong rear tin, trying to locate the bits i need, think i am there.

You are more than welcome to look at how the bug engine fits in my bus next time at a show if you like.

Haven't a clue about T3 cooling, sorry

Cheers!

Alistair

Hi clyde

Contact steve (67 Bay on here) ref the tinware extension piece, and use the existing beetle front tin which already
has the doghouse cut out. once fitted & painted you'd have difficulty in telling if from a genuine piece at a fraction
of the price.

From memory, You will probably need to use the exsisting SP front I Apron think? but as you have both, whichever gives the best fit really.

When i replaced my SP with a beetle TP AS41 case the L/H upper halfmoon bolt fixing was different to the B series case
minor item really, but just though i'd mention it.

As for the T3 tin, I have had no experience of using these, but cant see any great benefit TBH.

Cheers

Clyde im also interested in this, im having my engine changed to 1776 twinport. I was asked by the engine builder to get a new tp fan shroud, and doghouse cooler rear tin.

TP doghouse fan shrouds are easy to come across, its the front and rear seal tin that is a differnt matter by all accounts.

Latest posts