Engine upgrade advice needed - 1971 Type 1 stock 1600cc engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domoneill

Reaction score
We've got a 1971 crossover bay.

Dean at http://classiccarrevivals.co.uk restored it for us 7 years ago and it's still looking brilliant.

We've got a stock type 1 1600cc engine in it with twin carbs. It goes very slow. We can cruise at 55-60mph and struggle up any climb even shallow ones. We want to be able to jump in it whenever we want and drive 100-150miles without it taking 3-4 hours.

I really don't want to sell it and buy something newer but the family don't enjoy slow road trips any more and are pressuring for an upgrade to something quicker.

I'd like to explore upgrading the engine to something bigger that will cruise at 70-75mph without any issues.

What advice would you give? (My technical engine knowledge is limited so please tell me in simple speak.

Any tips or recommendations of who to talk to would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Dom

Thanks for the reply. I really don’t want, not can afford a T5 just want to go a bit quicker to keep family happy.

I’ll look into scooby conversion. I don’t know what that is.

Thanks.

Before you do anything drastic, get hold of Abel at Afonso Motors for assistance.
Karlos (use a "at" sign in place of the a in his name to find him on the forum, my keyboard doesn't have one :lol: :lol: )
on this forum is also another person to talk to with regards to air cooled.
Both are highly recommended.
The other option is a Subaru Conversion Scooby for short. There are a number of company's that
do this and have being doing it for so long that they have perfected the art. Professional installs.
Somebody will be along shortly that will help I am sure.
Good Luck.

J & P
:D :D :D

As they’ve said above, A type 1 engine made bigger is an option, a type 4 engine (2L) is another option, or perhaps the Subaru engine conversion might suit what you’re trying to achieve especially if you’re not particularly mechanically minded, however you’re looking into five or six thou plus brakes upgrades. All worth consideration, but running a stretched old style motor isn’t comparable to a modern motor unfortunately and you’ll still get issues of various descriptions especially if you try running it at 70 plus on a semi permanent basis.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, I quite enjoy the journey :mrgreen:

Thanks for the recommendation Gasman 8)

Regarding more power the first question is how much re you willing to spend? Ideally For what you want I’d suggest a type1 stroker, something like 1904cc, twin 40’s and mild cam like an Engle W110 with a freeway flyer gearbox. Should make 120ish horsepower with plenty of useable torque for hills and a freeway flyer box will allow you to cruise a long at 65-70mph all day long and return reasonable mpg.

A scooby conversion is fitting a Subaru engine, in my eyes they belong in Subaru’s... If everything is engineered, built and maintained properly an bus with an aircooled engine is perfectly reliable. Sadly people seem to ignore basic maintenance then have shit fits when their 50 yr old bus goes wrong.

K@rlos said:

Regarding more power the first question is how much re you willing to spend? Ideally For what you want I’d suggest a type1 stroker, something like 1904cc, twin 40’s and mild cam like an Engle W110 with a freeway flyer gearbox. Should make 120ish horsepower with plenty of useable torque for hills and a freeway flyer box will allow you to cruise a long at 65-70mph all day long and return reasonable mpg.

A scooby conversion is fitting a Subaru engine, in my eyes they belong in Subaru’s... If everything is engineered, built and maintained properly an bus with an aircooled engine is perfectly reliable. Sadly people seem to ignore basic maintenance then have shit fits when their 50 yr old bus goes wrong.
Good shout.

I'd agree with the above. A small stroker, and a longer ratio gearbox will do wonders.

I've fitted a 5 speed conversion on my bus. That and a 1955cc engine and it'll cruise at 70, 3500rpm. In warm weather you will need additional oil cooling to sit comfortably at that speed though.

K@rlos said:

I agree with all that Karlos said, a 1904/1955/2007 stroker when built properly, can be ultra reliable and pretty much maintenance free without costing half of a Subaru conversion. I also agree that doing a Subaru conversion kinds of spoils the great feeling of having one of these Buses, but that’s just MHO.

Abel🤓

My father's bus had a rather tired 1600 twin port engine, we've just swapped it for a nicely built 1641 (1600 with 1641 conversion kit) we got off ebay for just over £2,000. Of course that was a gamble but we did what checks we could and, so far (500 miles in), it has transformed the bus. Like you 50-55 was his top speed and quickly ran out of gears to drop into going up hills but now cruises comfortably at 60-65 and takes hills in its stride. I suspect most of the benefit came form the old to new(ish) engine swap rather than the minimal (but useful) power upgrade you get going from 1600 to 1641. Remember, it is not so much about top speed as average speed that will bring your journey times down (whilst making driving a lot more enjoyable and relaxing) and being able to maintain 55-65mph rather than operating in a band from 20mph to 50mph will make a huge difference. Anyway, I offer just as a (possibly) quicker and cheaper alternative to the bigger engine options / Scooby transplant.

Not a recommendation but this is the conversion kit you'd need to convert your existing engine (as well as requisite mechanical ability or a good garage / mechanic) https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/product/043198002/ (lots of other sellers)

(Of course if there is an issue in a part that doesn't get changed this won't solve it! Maybe do a compression test and a few other basic checks to try and find out what the underlying issue is. No disrespect but it is not uncommon for new owners to not even realize the engine is maybe only running on 3 cylinders or something. Also check points / change to electronic ignition and look at how well the carb(s) is/are set up and don't discount really simple stuff like a brake binding on - on which note I'm off to carry on rebuilding my front calipers after having exactly this issue!).

Latest posts