• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

ENGINE WANTED ...and advice please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messer

Reaction score
usually with my head in a toolbox in Worcestershir
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia
Hi folks, I'm looking for advice on engines.....do I buy new(Brazil/Mexico) or do I go down the refurb road, have any of you had a Remtec, etc..recon engine? I've spent a load of hard earned at a so-called well known expert firm in the West Mids, having my engine stripped & apparently 'loads of work done' only to have it break down again & again :evil: took it back once for more work , still no better :( now it's completly knacked, and I'm NOT taking it back to the ''experts''.
I'd be grateful for any of your wealth of knowledge , I know you guy's are the nuts, or is that just nuts ;)

My bus is a '71 westy US import, great bus,but engine is spoiling our enjoyment.
The engine which came with the bus, is a 1776cc with 110 engel cam, it gets really hot,despite ALL tinware fitted,and leaks oil , I spend more money on oil than on petrol!

Sorry for long winded & rant, but I'm pissed off atmo ,so any help would be brilliant,

Hello mate,

Depending on what is actually wrong with the engine im sure it can be saved. :D I have had a Remtech and it was shit, i have a Vege engine now and is quality, It has been treated well and a few treats added but a very good solid engine. :mrgreen:

I would personally go for a rebuild on the engine by a reputable company. If you are having trouble finding one then let us know and we will point you in the right direction. If you can get to Bristol easily then I know of a top dood, who will sort you out and make you engine run like a dream. 8)

Remtecs do seem to get mixed reviews :?

recently people on here have been pleasantly suprised with their Mex lumps so if your wanting a stock motor worth a thought.... I know Strongy was having real issues with his before buying a mex try dropping him a PM and ask him a few choice Qs...

But I have to agree that its very likely salvageable, these engines will take a vast amount of abuse.....

Any engine specifics dizzy, carbs, external cooling, exhaust etc......... it may help with fathoming the over heating issue, when you say its completely knackered can you elaborate?
Pics might shine some light too

hi ive not long installed a REMTEC 1600sp in my microbus i did everything that was asked in the paperwork that came with it , 500 oil change adjusting mixture professionally etc etc i did about 750 miles and then went of round europe for two weeks clocking up 3443 miles !!! fully loaded kids camping gear etc it performed faultlessly even in italy at 40 degrees it was running cool , so i reccomend remtec its done what i wanted it to do and it has a 2 year guarantee !! (which is nice ) this my opinion only ive done the big motors before and well there fun when there right but even then they can bite you on the arse !! stock for me from now on its the way forward !!!
regards
chris

Hi guys,thanks for replies and advice.
I've been told it's the crankshaft thats the prob, made a hell of a racket before it came to a halt, when I started it later(after being towed home....again) it turned, but the noise was like a mass of banging metal, turned it straight off! mechanic mate said crankshaft...serious he said :(
To be honest, I've had so much grief with this engine, (& emptying my wallet) I just wanna dump it!
Thanks again for your input lads.

hi messer
thanks fella glad you happy with the bumper,hope it works out for you engine wise

regards
chris

messer said:
Hi Chris, nice to meet you at NWVW, your bus is cool, and my bumper looks great, wish I'd have bought your engine too!
Thanks for info Remtec, I'll be looking into it, cheers

messer said:
Hi guys,thanks for replies and advice.
I've been told it's the crankshaft thats the prob, made a hell of a racket before it came to a halt, when I started it later(after being towed home....again) it turned, but the noise was like a mass of banging metal, turned it straight off! mechanic mate said crankshaft...serious he said :(
To be honest, I've had so much grief with this engine, (& emptying my wallet) I just wanna dump it!
Thanks again for your input lads.

Sounds like you've had a rough experience and your engine has had it.Although it probably could go again with a new crank and align bored case etc,you'd probably be better off with a complete recon engine.You'll get mixed reviews on any engine supplier,but I think the key to a long lasting engine is to tune it up right and check the tuning regularly.Also to make sure all the tinware and seals are fitted and the thermostat flaps are fitted at least,better to fit the thermostat too.Make sure there are no air leaks in the manifold/carbs etc too.

...when the 'better halfs' bug engine block was found to be cracked recently :evil: ....I was talking engines with the garage...

....he generally supplies a recon 1600tp at about £800(trade price)+ fitting, they come from I think REMTEC/VWHeritage.........

.....whilst he isn't much use to you......it may give an idea as to price :?

Cheers VWAIRCOOLED ,mjknight71, & all who replied, thanks for help & info, think your right, it's a recon I think, making sure thermostat ,tinware, etc , is present & correct sir! ;)
I'll try Remtec/Heritage, see whats what.
cheers again all

Have heard only good things about new mexican engines, although with the collapsed pound they are pricey at the moment. I've just fitted a pair of mexican heads to my 1600, be aware that the valve sizes are smaller (they are intended for injection) on these, I'm still trying to find out what jet sizes to use in the carb for these with a single quiet pack exhaust if anyone can help?

Let us know how you get on.

Ant

If it's any use to you, my girlfriend bought me a new/recon motor from Elite VW in Essex for Christmas last (yes, I am a VERY lucky boy). A stock 1600SP was £500 plus something like £100 fitting and touch wood, so far it's been spot on. Took us to Le Mans in the height of what passes for this summer (34deg ambient) without missing a beat and I can't fault it on anything. Also, the blokes there were dead helpful and straight - told me there was no point in spending the extra £150 for their 1641cc conversion, as I wouldn't notice the extra.

dubdubz said:
Laurie Petitt

You won't go far wrong here. He might be able to rebuild the 1776.

Ignition timing & correct jetting are the best way to keep an engine cool.

I fitted a 1776 for him & have just done a 500 mile service to it. It runs sweet as. the price was very keen too. In fact, for what he got was silly cheap.

Latest posts