europian road trip

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoda

Reaction score
taking a road trip to Croatia in the summer is it worth me joining the caravan and camping club for discounts and info on camp sites

check out asci - their discount card and book of sites (or app) is worth having

http://webshop.acsi.eu/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for us - we prefer their 'small campsites' app

while this year we're members of C&C their web sites tell you only 0.5% of all the foreign sites out there, and you can book them independently yourself. depends whether you need all the other stuff they offer.

We used Alan Rogers book in spain, it was pretty good, so you could try them

https://alanrogers.com/guides" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm taking a trip to Slovenia/Croatia via Spain/Portugal/Italy this summer too. Useful to know this info thanks ^

If your traveling through France pick up all the Aires France book. There's also a train that you can use in Croatia depends were your heading.
Enjoy

Enjoy the trip - did it a few years ago and had a ball 8)
Forget about joining the CCC just for the discounts as it`s cheap enough anyway + they want you to book in advance , not something I do to be honest ....

:)

Thought about planning camp sites for each night. But then went back to plan A, of winging it and just find somewhere at the end of the day, and if we like it/had enough travelling stop for a couple of night and then carry on.

we have "done" Brittany big chunk of Belgium and parts of Luxembourg, the only site we book is if we have a later channel crossing and don't want the hassle of looking for a site the 1st night,

We have looked at various camping associations even people like camping cheque. but last year all we had for Belgium as we hadn't meant to stay in the country other than to do Brugge was a sheet map that covered the whole country and it had a tent symbol for camp sites. there are parts that are thin for camp sites but on the whole both in france and belgium there is usually something and whats more we generally found them better value for money than the UK.

you usually get a hedged off plot to yourself water points are more frequent shower blocks even on the french municipal sites are good and if they charge for them they are great not just an excuse to charge more.

We are doing another trip in a few weeks hoping to head into Switzerland, Italian lakes and florence, again not booking anything but will get a guide to sites if we can find one that covers all the countries.

I'm about to embark on a 10 day roadtrip during the Euros down to Marseille and back (I've got tickets for QF1 in Marseille and QF4 in Paris).

If anyone has any recommendations for campsites in either of those places or cool places to visit on the way down, please let me know. :)

Termite.

Termite said:
I'm about to embark on a 10 day roadtrip during the Euros down to Marseille and back (I've got tickets for QF1 in Marseille and QF4 in Paris).

If anyone has any recommendations for campsites in either of those places or cool places to visit on the way down, please let me know. :)

Termite.
The main tip I would give is to make full use of the aires. These are free campsites and you don't need to book. We always pull onto the toll roads when we are looking for one at the end of the day. (You get aires on A roads but not so many nor as good value. They are every 15 miles or so. Look for the ones showing the picnic icon so you can camp away from the lorries and make sure there is the restaurant icon so you can eat before you go to bed if you want. Avoid the ones with just the petrol icon as these are small and full of noisy trucks. We use aires all the time - if you want to see pictures etc have a look at my campervan blog http://www.SickbayDays.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

further to my post above - Just back from Germany, Austria , and the Netherlands.... We used the acsi app on the iPad and it did give us good sites. used the Alan Rogers book too.

Post up where you ended up (it was only in week 2 my wife pointed out that for another day in the van we could have been in Croatia instead of Germany in the rain). So Croatia is now a future option

+1 for Asci

Don't forget about the municipals across France either. Really cheap camping near the centre of town. We spent 9 weeks travelling around Europe a few years back. Some of our favourites were an aire in Cognac opposite the Hennessey distillery, the municipal in Avignon, the aire in Le Havre and Carcisson... actually I don't think there was a bad one.

I'm leaving for Roscoff on Tuesday next week. This is all great info!

Planning to wing it and book in to campsites when I feel like it, got solar panel, coolbox and cooker etc so only really need water and toilet facilities.

Route should be West coast, then San Sebastian and underneath the Pyrenees, across SE France into Italy (all dependent on how the van runs!). I have no return ferry booked so gotta see how far my savings take me!

Does anyone know of a good EU aircooled forum that I can post in? Would be nice to meet up with local aircooled people or find garages if necessary.

I am ferrying from Portsmouth to Caen on Tuesday and then driving to near Royan to a campsite for a week. Unfortunately other commitments mean that I cannot stay longer but next year I plan to travel accross France and into Italy, etc in our T2 over a much longer period.

I have travelled in France for many years in modern vehicles but never used the Aires apart from a quick pit stop on the way south. It's encouraging to hear that the ones with the picnic sites are good as I agree the lorry ones smell of diesel and urine!

The municipal sites sound excellent and again I have never stopped at these so I will hopefully plan my future trips around these.

Interesting top tips here! I'm new to van ownership so this thread is all good info for me.

We used the Acsi books last time we went to Europe...France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland...and found it to be very useful.
We're off to Italy this year and have booked the Drum Inn that is 10 mins from the Tunnel for the way out and the way back. We are staying in a farm house in Tuscany for a week, then have only booked a site in Venice for the return leg...the rest will be wingit.com. That way you can stop where you like, when you like.
Enjoy your trip...you'll love it 8)

We are driving to Croatia too this late summer, going via France from the Chunnel, to South East Belgium for the first campsite and then through Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia and then Croatia! Can't wait for the road trip!!

Bod said:
We are driving to Croatia too this late summer, going via France from the Chunnel, to South East Belgium for the first campsite and then through Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia and then Croatia! Can't wait for the road trip!!

How long are you planning for that epic trip?
We managed getting down as far as Italy in a two week break but didn't want to push on much further. But might have a look at Croatia for next year post EBI

StuF said:
Bod said:

How long are you planning for that epic trip?
We managed getting down as far as Italy in a two week break but didn't want to push on much further. But might have a look at Croatia for next year post EBI

Hi, We are going away for three weeks, we are looking forward to seeing Croatia and Slovenia the most, as we have toured France, Germany, Italy and Austria extensively - but this is our first time to Slovenia and to Croatia. We took Bod down to Nimes in the summer of 2014 and he was fine, since then we have got him set up even better. Going to make the most of getting as much wine and cheese and beer back when we get back through France! Where in Italy did you go and what route did you take?

We had a friends wedding to attend in Gerona Spain so over a few beers one evening we decided it would be a good idea to drive it! :msn4:
Basically left Lincoln v early one morning,
Eurotunnel,
France - directly through just cutting down towards Spain using the motorways following SatNav
Stayed in Spain for a few days for the wedding around Gerona - made it in 2/3 days if I remember
Made a trip to Monaco on day just after the F1 circus had been - roads down into Monaco are "challenging"
Italy - San Remo, so just over the border where we stayed for another few days

And then wound our way back up through France.

Have also launched off into Germany in the past following on from Le Bug in Spa - travelled all around the Black Forest region for a couple of weeks chilling.
Next year I fancy another trip away and am now looking at Croatia - looks a fair drive but with 3 weeks to get there and back it will be plenty of time!

(I think there are pics of both trips saved on my build thread fairly early on)

Just been going through your post about your European Road trip to Spain and back - it looks awesome! We are ready for our summer trip to Croatia, roll on September!!! Murphy sounds amazing!

Bod said:

Hi... Nice plan for a trip.. and I am really glad, that some of you are comming to "our" part of Europe... let me know, if you will be somewhere near me.. ;)

Latest posts