Exhaust and tow bar?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjknight71

Reaction score
I have a '72 cross over with tow bar (original I think, as it has the old style ball :wink: ) the one where the bumper bolts to the the tow bar. don't really want rid of the tow bar as it is a parking sensor.....old skool :lol:

Can I fit and after market exhaust :? ...wanted a mondo/quiet pack :lol: ....but not sure it will fit :cry:

I think the answer is no as im going to have to remove m quite pack to fit a tow bar. Can i have first dibs on the towbar if you get rid? (the money will go a good way towards your new exhaust system.

All a bit tight and you will have to cut the quiet pack, best to go for a side exit rather than rear exit, pick below may help
Picture005-1.jpg

Are you running a big engine with that A1 sidewinder style exhaust? Ive looked at one of those or the one they do in this country but its alot of dosh to stick on a bog standard 1600. Also worried it might be to good for the engine if you know what i mean (even less power).

clyde said:
Are you running a big engine with that A1 sidewinder style exhaust? Ive looked at one of those or the one they do in this country but its alot of dosh to stick on a bog standard 1600. Also worried it might be to good for the engine if you know what i mean (even less power).

Standard at the mo with exception of twin 40's, yes I know they are to big but they sound great :D . Exhaust went on for the tow bar and in readiness for a bigger motor over this winter. Wasn't that expensive £475 which is better than most

Couple of questions

Is that a A1 one or one of those UK ones?
Are you still running heating?
Are you using standard size bore?
Did you notice any performance gains?
Dose it sound nice?
Any fitting problems?
Dose it kick of loads of heat (ie make your valance/engine hot)?

clyde said:
Couple of questions

Is that a A1 one or one of those UK ones?
Are you still running heating?
Are you using standard size bore?
Did you notice any performance gains?
Dose it sound nice?
Any fitting problems?
Dose it kick of loads of heat (ie make your valance/engine hot)?

Clyde
It's a turbo thomas pipe, he makes to order so you can generally set what you want
No heat exchangers
Slightly bigger but no much
Yes as a set up with the carbs the van is a lot better, pulls well even with a 16TP, fuel economy is also better
fairly quiet considering some I'm not into all "noise with no go"
Fitted with no worries, no paste used and it sealed its self up
No more noticeable heat than the quiet pack I was running

The only reason for the pipe was the quiet pack rusted away with 16 months of fitting it and the option came up with one of the other guys on here of ordering two and saving £50/each (paid 425) and as we intended to fit a tow bar this or standard would have been the only option.

mjknight71 said:
bugger :evil:

Like i said if you want/need the exhaust more than the towbar (which i would if i didnt have a trailer) im your man. Let me know if your interested and ill PM you my Number.
Cheers J

Cheers mate, if you are looking for bumper irons i might be convinced to let you have my nice shiney powder coated ones in with the deal if your tow bar is the type im after. 8) Then everyones happy.

clyde said:
Cheers mate, if you are looking for bumper irons i might be convinced to let you have my nice shiney powder coated ones in with the deal if your tow bar is the type im after. 8) Then everyones happy.
Dude, if mjknight71's van is a crossover the towbar will not fit your 69 without major work.

dubberdaz said:
clyde said:
Dude, if mjknight71's van is a crossover the towbar will not fit your 69 without major work.

actually that is probably very true :shock:

....also now i really think about it this is an original period tow bar it wouldn't fit a modern trailer, as the tow ball is a different shape :?: :?: :?: so i have ben led to believe :roll: .

Anyway I will let you know how i get on in the search and if it comes off we can see then.... :mrgreen:

I thought the Bluebird systems fitted with a tow bar ..... certainly Richards old bay had a tow bar fitted with one of his own pipes on.

Ive a tow bar for sale for an early bay.Came on my import but dont know weather the ball will be the same size as UK hitches?
25quid + delivery sound fair?
newbusandbugjam094.jpg
Bolts to the chassis sides not on bumper mounts.Doesnt foul standard bumper.

Hoosier said:
Ive a tow bar for sale for an early bay.Came on my import but dont know weather the ball will be the same size as UK hitches?
25quid + delivery sound fair?
newbusandbugjam094.jpg
Bolts to the chassis sides not on bumper mounts.Doesnt foul standard bumper.
you will have to change the ball as that one will be us spec.... they are avallable and easy to fit..... did mine no problem.....

Latest posts