Exhaust problems - follow up jobs!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike F

Reaction score
Following on from the posting 'should I change the exhaust myself' a while back I've been advised to change the inlet manifold gaiters.

I can see the things on the engine but am not sure just how much I have to remove to get at them.

Anyone done this?

The problem I am trying to resolve is a whistling and poor running suggesting an air leak I believe. It may also be that the engine overheated & did the valves as I'd left the foam seal off when going to Dubs in the Park. Learning the hard way!

im interested in the same thing, how hard is it to change to a 4 in 1 and single quiet pack system?

I replaced the standard exhaust system with a 4 into 1 and single quiet pack on Nic's bus last week. Also replaced the heat exchangers with j-tubes whilst I was there. Took about an hour all in, and all I needed was a 10mm socket, a 13mm socket and a screwdriver. You'll need to remove the front tinware obviously, but that's only held in by 5 or 6 screws.

Mike F said:
Following on from the posting 'should I change the exhaust myself' a while back I've been advised to change the inlet manifold gaiters.

I can see the things on the engine but am not sure just how much I have to remove to get at them.

Anyone done this?

The problem I am trying to resolve is a whistling and poor running suggesting an air leak I believe. It may also be that the engine overheated & did the valves as I'd left the foam seal off when going to Dubs in the Park. Learning the hard way!

You will need a 13mm spanner, 13mm socket and a screwdriver to change the manifold boots. Slacken off the the rubber boot clips on both sides and slide the boots back over the main manifold body (sometimes a bit stiff!!). Slacken and remove the 8mm nuts on left and right outer manifolds and work the manifolds loose. Now wiggling the main manifold assembly about it should be possible to remove both left and right manifolds with a bit of swearing. Swop the boots for new ones, replace the inlet manifold gaskets for new ones and reverse the process. Beware of cheap poor quality manifold boots (usually plasticky and black) because they split in under 12 months, the brown/orangey ones seem to last a lot longer. Hope this helps :roll:

Cheers currylager... eventually got the problem solved by slammedkustom popping over. He found the problem - the manifold on one side was only held on by one stud! Have to say having seen him do the job I'd be happy to have a go another time.

Latest posts