Experiences with engines from TES or others?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2-Nate

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been thinking a lot about my engine lately, or wether the one I'm gonna build.
Should I be better off rebuilding the one that came with my bus -of which I have no history at all, all I know is that both heads had a tear and that I threw them, the tinware has to be partially replaced and so does the dizzy, manifold and so on- or buy a big bore with new crankcase from one of the shops and trade in the old lump?

I'm only planning of going for a mild 1641 wild some kind of uprated camshaft, uprated heads and uprated rockers in combi with dual carbs.

It will be my first engine that I'll be working on but I'm curious for epxeriences with those engine shops advertised in Volksworld and all.

I recently got 'The Engine Shop' to rebuild the engine in my Fastback. I went for the budget silver engine. I had an oil leak almost immediately but this luckily turned out to be my oil cooler and not the engine (ever tried finding a type 3 oil cooler?). For a while it would produce a puff of blue smoke on start-up which was a bit worrying but that seems to have settled down and the oil consumption is very low. We've driven it down to South Germany and back with no problems.
Very pleased with it so far and a bargain at £549.

I have a VEGE engine in the van and it has run for 6 or so years without missing a beat. I have heard good things about the new mexico engines but have not tried them myself. 8) Just finishing an engine in my notch (and yup it is difficult to get a type 3 oil cooler! but got a NOS one in the end :wink: ) This is being built by Jase at Interpro (Thornbury, Bristol) it is an old 1500 original type 3 engine converted to a 1776 with twin 40idfs :wink: not cheap but worth every penny :wink: broooom broooom!

The Van Engine - 1600 VEGE with twin 34icts
Ralph047.jpg

The Notch Engine - 1776 with twin 40 idfs (nearly finished)
notchengine1.jpg

:mrgreen:

Forgot to say, have seen a load of shit Remtek engines recently so I wouldnt go near them. They run okay, but dont produce near enought the right amount of BHP for a new engine. I have seen this on about 5 engines over the past 4 months :shock:

Ive got a brand new VW Mexico 1600cc in the Gadget Bus and Ive got to say IT has NEVER let me down . Im vry impressed with it . I fitted the day before EBi 1 and ran it in ther and back and its outstanding Doesnt leak a bit of oil and makes bloody good power too :mrgreen:

Id recommend the genuine Vw engines every time AND i do concurr with Easy and remtec engines :roll:

Gadget

Thanx for the replies so far guys, The engine I have is an AS, mexican carter.
Both heads were torn, but it still turned over quite OK.
I dunno what way to go as the engine looked fine as it was except very dirty and I think it's probably seen a fire because the carb and dizzy had discoloration that looked like burned gasoline.

So I figured I'd play safe and buy a new case.

I've just rebuilt my engine, new main, big end and cam bearings - new clutch - new B&P - complete gaskets set - second hand head - re-lapped all the valves etc etc, think its cost me around £350/£400 but at least i can say i've done it (well with a little help :wink: )
I read a lot about different engines / builders and decided to go with what i've got/knew.
Buy good quality parts and spend the money you save on something else, as we all know there will always be something else :lol:

TES chnaged their name for a reason ;)

Remtec may have some failures but their exchange for faults is good.

As for value a new mexi would be my choice everyday or a custom new built

Nic B-C said:
TES chnaged their name for a reason ;)

Remtec may have some failures but their exchange for faults is good.

As for value a new mexi would be my choice everyday or a custom new built

Dont totally agree im afraid. Have had 2 friends that have had remtecs fitted and when run up on the rolling road they were about 10 bhp less than they should have been :roll: On consulting Remtec they were told there is nothing that they could do and that was that!!!! This was even after they sent the read out etc and a quality engine builder who installed them and rolling roaded them, spoke to them on the phone.

Probably just isolated cases but they happened none the less. 8)

well I have a Vege in my camper - it has never let me down and is quality. I remember speaking to a few people before I bought it 6 years ago and I was told to stay away from TES - the guy at a leading dismantlers told me he sees a load of them coming in shot - Remtec are not as good as they should be Vege are the best.

saying that though if I had the money I would get John Maher to build me a bigger one.

Build your own and build it big. Nothing like being able to keep up with modern traffic in your un-modern vehicle.

Case in point - the other day I had to pull into a layby on A120 to answer a call of nature. Was one of those really nasty evenings, dusk plus rain and during rush hour. No big gaps to pull out in so had to take my chances. I have a 1745 with dells and it was able to pull out and accelerate quickly and thus safely. A forty second 0-60 in conditions like that just not my idea of fun.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that anyone who drove a 'performance' engined bus would not want to go back to 1600 again. That engine was built for the roads and traffic conditions of 40 years ago.

Latest posts