FAO Bristol based Dormobile owners!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mginty

Reaction score
South of Bristol somewhere in Somerset....
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
Hi and help!
I'm struggling to refit my dormi interior - it wasn't supposed to take this long! :lol: - and am unsure of where/ how various parts attach. Indeed I have various parts that I have no idea what they are for!
So, am wondering whether there are any Bristol dormi owners that wouldn't mind me either having a poke around their van or can offer any other help (pics/ etc)
Cheers!

Get some pics up of what you have mate and I'm sure we can get it sorted for you.I rebuilt mine in May so might be able to help.
Cheers - Rob

thanks Rob, muchos gracias!
First off is where does the side cabinet attach to the body of the van? Memory tells me that it's kept in place by the bench seat and the rear bed section/ storage. I can see one place where the L shape metal fittings screw into the floor at the rear end of the inside facing section staright down from the coolbox ( :? )- hard to describe...I'll try and post a pic tomorrow.

From what I remember when I removed mine; there are philips head screws (about an inch long) throught the 1/2 inch square hard wood "batons" down into the floor. I'll have a look on Sat for you when I am back home and take photos if you want.

Andy

Thanks Andy, that would be great. I don't seem to have those battens, only at the driver's seat end.
I have these small right-angled fixings with curved ends - 9 in total I think. I can figure out where 6 of them go:
x2 in the wardrobe
x2 rear storage section
x2 in the side cabinet.
But am not sure of the rest. Trying to see if I can find marks on the wood.

Here's a rundown so far of what I'd like to know apologies for the length! :shock:
I have the metal part that attaches here that holds the table. Going to screw it in. There are some holes which line up with where the kick plate fits so more screws there - any idea what size these ones are?
Dormi_1.jpg

This is the inside of the large cupboard on the side unit looking towards the rear. I'm not sure what these screw holes are for that are visible near the vertical trim?
Dormi_2.jpg

One of the angled fixings goes on this section toward the right:
Dormi_3.jpg

and another one goes in the thinner middle cupboard and attaches to the floor:
Dormi_4.jpg

Are there any more??

There are a couple of screws that fix the rear storage to the side unit:
Dormi_5.jpg

Are there any more??

I have a bit of a gap between where the rear section goes across and the body slopes down to the floor. It's not particularly clear here but I guess it's an inch or two
Dormi_6.jpg

Is that normal?

Where do these go? I think they fit on a inner vertical section on the pillar between the cab and cargo area. They are about 2 ft long bits of rigid fabric in a U section/ profile
Dormi_7.jpg

And these? Floppy bits of plastic about 4 ft long. Think part of the roof?
Dormi_8.jpg

Dormi_9.jpg

And these?
Dormi_10.jpg

Dormi_11.jpg

I think these are child bunk support that attach to the cab/ cargo pillar. If so what size screw?
Dormi_12.jpg

And finally (phew!) what are these for? possibly gas canister and spare wheel?
Dormi_13.jpg

Dormi_14.jpg

If you've got this far, well done & many thanks for reading and if anyone can help I'd be very grateful

Cheers

1 - I'll check on Saturday
2 - Not sure - will check mine but there are 3 different configurations of the long side unit and I think mine is different to yours
3 - I think so
4 - I don't think so
5 - Yes gap is the same on mine
6 - Yes thats where they are on mine - I think these may be VW fitment not Dormobile
7 - Roof aperture seals - fron and rear of roof aperture
8 - A mobile phone on the left (sorry!) the other two have got me stumped, but do look like the white vinyl faced hardboard that is used for the roof lining etc - maybe something to do with the "box out" around the rear hatch hinges? 2 No seat belt hooks and 1 No rear hatch locator
9 - Yep, I have these too - screw to the inside of the upper B pillar - I'll measure my screws for you on Sat
10 - 1st 2 are gas cylinder straps. 2nd one looks like spare wheel strap but is different to mine - mine is the nylon strap - yours looks like fabric webbing

Well done Andy,I agree with all answers as well :grin:I'm working on Doris 2moz so I'll have a look & take some pics as well.

Big thanks to you both,
been cleaning the trim bits up as best I can tho I'm wondering whether I should use some vinyl or plastic paint to make them look good rather than trying to clean off 40 odd years of dirt!

Also have found two rectangular pieces of black rubber about 2 inch long and an inch wide and deep. There is one long screw in the middle. Can get some pics tomorrow if that would help!
Cheers

Yeah they sound like the spare wheel buffers.they screw to the wall above the spare wheel well.stop tyre rubbing trim panel.

I sprayed my trims,came out well.think it was plastikote.......

2012-09-05180843-1.jpg

nice, thanks for that. Did you use that for the sun visors or was that vinyl paint?

Also, what are the rear hatch locators? Do they go halfway up either side of the body? I only seem to have one which is a bit annoying!

mginty said:
Also, what are the rear hatch locators? Do they go halfway up either side of the body? I only seem to have one which is a bit annoying!

Yes they screw to the inside of the hatch opening. I have one spare (incl screws) in my bits box that you can have - Pm me your address and I'll stick it in the post for you.

I have taken some photos for you today - i'll post em up in a little while.

OK so a few pics as promised, here goes.............. ;)

Screws that fix side unit through hardwood square "baton" to floor:
DSC05131.jpg

DSC05130.jpg

DSC05132.jpg

Screw dimensions:
DSC05115.jpg

DSC05121.jpg

DSC05127.jpg

DSC05128.jpg

This is where the bits in your question No 8 go:
DSC05133.jpg

The 2 No screws that go diagonally into the back of the side unit (through the front upright of the "over engine" box
DSC05136.jpg

Screw dimensions:

DSC05141.jpg

DSC05142.jpg

DSC05144.jpg

DSC05146.jpg

The gap in your question 5: (are you missing the hardwood / ply(?) )base of the long thin storage boxes?
DSC05147.jpg

And finally, the childs cab bunk mounting bracket screws;
DSC05099.jpg

DSC05108.jpg

DSC05110.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Andy & Rob, that's very helpful and I've now got a few jobs to do! Managed to get cracking on a few of them today & sprayed some of the trim and the metal fixings plus painted the inside of my rear bumper whilst it's not raining!
I don't have those floor battens except at the very front running alongside the drivers bulkhead bit. I seem to remember some fixings at the top of the bulkhead but can't seem to find any. Are your side units only fitted at the rear and the floor? By the looks of it they are.

The gap in your question 5: (are you missing the hardwood / ply(?) )base of the long thin storage boxes?
On mine, the long box that runs the width of the van doesn't extend that far. In that pic, you can just see the end of it at the bottom.

I have one spare (incl screws) in my bits box that you can have - Pm me your address and I'll stick it in the post for you.
Thanks Andy that's very kind of you!
Cheers
Rob

Latest posts