Faulty Coil? - No a Senior moment!!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cali_bay

Reaction score
Can a faulty coil cause a flat spot on acceleration?

I have fitted a reconditioned Bosch distributor, it's got new plugs and leads, rebuilt a Solex carb and just rebuilt/cleaned it again, but I am still getting a large flat sopt under load on acceleration. I've checked that the dizzy advances with vacuum, the timing and the engine ticks over nicely?

The only thing I have not changed is the coil. Can this cause this issue? Can anyone help please, I'm running out of ideas? :? :?

Thanks,

Si

there are a number of things that can cause a flat spot.. when did this problem start? its almost certainly is not a problem with the coil. could be a blocked air filter, your points might need adjusting or its going to be a blocked jet in ur carb. Some times a re built carb won't fix an old carb. they do wear out and some parts can't be serviced. Not sure what it is but quite sure its not the coil. good luck mate.

gimp said:
there are a number of things that can cause a flat spot.. when did this problem start? its almost certainly is not a problem with the coil. could be a blocked air filter, your points might need adjusting or its going to be a blocked jet in ur carb. Some times a re built carb won't fix an old carb. they do wear out and some parts can't be serviced. Not sure what it is but quite sure its not the coil. good luck mate.

Thanks for your reply

I suppose to be honest since I originally rebuilt the carb last year, i've have had the issue (had a Bocar on before which did not idle well), The Solex at first was not too bad, just flat mainly when the engine was cold. It has now got worse with a real flat spot as I accelerate off in first or second.

The points are correct, I've cleaned the carb again, tried with a new and original Vac dizzy, the only thing left is the coil or to replace the carb with a new one. I've been thinking of either the EMPI or I have just read about the EUROMAX (C&C - suppied), but not sure of the quality of either of these?

So, I've been struggling to get rid of this flat spot or bogging on transition idle to main. I rebuilt the carb several times, checked the timing, reset the mixture checked the coil, reset the accerator pump jet + and - and still did not get anywhere with the issue. :evil:

This was really beginning to get on my tits. :evil: :evil:

Thought the only option was to get a new Carb :idea: , but thought I would just go through everything again, so regapped the valves (they were not to bad to be honest) checked over the dizzy and I believe I found my issue, when I checked my points a few weeks ago I thought they were fine, but today I rechecked my Haynes manual and noticed that the gap should be 0.40 (.016) not 0.04 (0.0016) :shock: Oops.

Now set at 0.40, timing redone and no more flat spot. :bliss:

Thread title should read 'Faulty Brain'. :lol:

glad u got it sorted. i remember the same happened to a beetle of mine while driving thru france. i was having to change into second gear to go up gentle slopes, i pulled over into the layby and checked the points.. it was one of the few things i could do with my glove box tool kit... reset the points gap and pulled out onto the motorway at speed, i had no idea my old 1200 could do 70!!! ha ha u live and learn.

Latest posts