Finally A Decent Aftermarket Steering Wheel!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane r

Reaction score
About a year ago I saw a short article on a guy that was going to produce a sports steering wheel for buses in one of the mags, that was actually the right size! It took him ages to get them into production and then it took me ages to get my act together to buy one.

But I finally got one and I love it. It's a wood/ally wheel, similar in style to a Grant or something but, it's a glorious 17.5 inches across. Super light and looks fantastic AND you can see the speedo through it.

Just though I'd pass it on. I don't know the guy personally or anything but I have his email if you're interested.

Looks like this (this one is 'brushed', the one I got is polished)...

DSC00340-1.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

I think I saw this guy upstairs at Dubfreeze, if it,s the same wheel it,s really impressive. Btw where did you get the boss?
Andy

He's based in Crewe and off the top of my head think they are around £160' ish as for the boss they are off the shelf.

UMM i wonder whos got one of those but cant at present get his old wheel off ??????? Only had it about 2 months.

shane r said:
Yep, £150. The boss I got from SSP. Mine has a billet horn push though.

Please can I have details of the boss from SSP, I was tempted to buy one of these steering wheels @ dubfreeze but was put off just by the fact he did,nt sell bosses although he did say various companies do sell them.
Thanks Andy

clyde said:
UMM i wonder whos got one of those but cant at present get his old wheel off ??????? Only had it about 2 months.

Clyde, try Pie1man on here, i think he may be able to help with a steeringwheel removal tool, Daz

Ands1 said:
shane r said:
Yep, £150. The boss I got from SSP. Mine has a billet horn push though.

Please can I have details of the boss from SSP, I was tempted to buy one of these steering wheels @ dubfreeze but was put off just by the fact he did,nt sell bosses although he did say various companies do sell them.
Thanks Andy

WHS :wink:

Right, here's what I've done, after looking at Moto Lita and all that-which were WAY too expensive.

I bought the cheap Mountney one from SSP (remarkably it actually fits my EB and JK has been out of stock for about a year). It comes with a naff plastic horn push as seen above. Machine 7 however, sell a replacement horn push in polished billet. I got the billet push from them. Still at least a quarter the cost of a 'Lita or similar one. I'll get an actual pic of mine up tomorrow.

Link to boss on SSP: Linky

Dude's name is Laurence BTW and his email is:

[email protected][/url]

ProfessorWheeto said:
Hmm, I'd fit it upside down. Crashing your van is bad enough without a big metal spike in your stomach.
:lol: I think the 3 spokes are machined onto an Ali rim tham goes right round the wheel & is sandwiched by the wood.

shane r said:
ProfessorWheeto said:
So it's gonna snap rather than bend like a stock wheel?

A moot point really as a crash that would do that would knacker either wheel, and most likely the driver.

The point I was making was I'm certain vw designed the steering wheels with 2 horizontal spokes for a reason?

But each to their own, looks nice though.

I see where your coming from wheeto and gave this somethought when i got mine, but to be honest what are your chances of ever walking again if you have a big enough crash to impale you on the spoke. I think it will be the least of you worries.

Latest posts