Fire Extinguisher

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoddy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Picked up our first bus today.... Got the breakdown cover sorted [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]. Next item I've heard is worthwhile having is a fire extinguisher in the van! What extinguishers are people carrying with them? Then I'll go hunting for one.

Cheers
Craig

Check out all the usual suppliers. Some have deals and you can get more than one.
I got a bargain pack which included 1x Engine Compartment Unit
1X 2kg Unit for inside.
1X CO Detector.
All of the above for about £200 as far as I can remember. Can't have enough. :lol: :lol:

Shop around.

J & P
:D :D :D

Check out VW Aircooled Works automatic engine bay systems at http://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its a clean gas system but not CO2 as CO2 is less effective. Definitely recommend it. :D

Hmmm... I was thinking more along the lines of a £20 extinguisher tbh :) funds vanished on buying the bus! Read on some other forums where they were recommending AFF Foam ones? Guess anything is better than nothing!

Fire protection is good, but fire prevention is better. Check your fuel hoses, if in doubt replace them all, preferably with biofuel hose, or at least R9 hose, complete with proper hose clips, not jubilee style clips. Check your fuel breathers too. Check the integrity of your electrical system, make sure there is no risk of any shorts from damaged cables, make sure your battery is properly clamped down too.

And just in case, carry at least one decent size fire extinguisher, 2kg powder is good, not one of those piddly little 600g things.

Great advice above, very important.
letting off different extinguishers in fire training at work was an eye opener. Think the 2kilo one only lasted about 6 seconds !
Get as many, and as big as you can.

Thanks all! Fuel lines have all been replaced by the garage I bought from. Battery is clamped down and I've not noticed any stray wires in the engine area (a few elsewhere!)

Will grab a couple of the red things :0)

always worth having an automatic system, after seeing a few vans go up dotn bother with the small car ones as they really wont touch the sides.

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC999E001/fire-extinguisher-daus-low-pressure-1kg-dry-powder-vertical/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have a fire, a 1kg extinguisher isn't going to cut it. If you're not getting an automatic one please at least get something of a decent size.

I have a Firetec fitted, and carry 2 others in the cab. Better safe than sorry!

gvee said:
If you have a fire, a 1kg extinguisher isn't going to cut it. If you're not getting an automatic one please at least get something of a decent size.

I have a Firetec fitted, and carry 2 others in the cab. Better safe than sorry!

Yeah me too,

Daus in the engine bay and two big un's one in the cab I can grab and one in the back too!

Ive an auto engine bay but always carry at least one other .... when you are camping keep it handy in the awning or out in the van to deal with any cooking/heating/candle incidents.

Firetec and 2kg I can reach from the drivers seat. When we are camping we've got another 2kg in the awning.

What ever system or size you get the number one is prevention.

i'm with madman fire prevention is best, but i do have two car extinguishers in the cab, wich i thought was fine then had this bizzare fear that if i was asleep and something caught fire in the body of the bus eg. fridge i could not get to the ones in the cab and would just cook. Soooo

i drilled a 2mm hole in the inner tailgate panel, threaded a piece of wire through and onto the release mech for the catch and created a "fire exit" silly maybe, but was dead simple also allows you to open tailagte from bed on the sunny lie in mornings without even getting out of your pit :lol:

Smithy2801 said:
Check out VW Aircooled Works automatic engine bay systems at http://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its a clean gas system but not CO2 as CO2 is less effective. Definitely recommend it. :D

Totally agree we've now fitted 2 of these kits from http://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to customer buses and are good quality and come complete ready to fit, the last one we fitted was in conjunction with a fuel cut off solenoid that cuts in if the extinguisher is triggered meaning no more fuel is pumped into the engine bay.

We offer a fitting service on these but they are relatively simple.

Latest posts