Fire systems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoddy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know this will have been covered before but conscious new products are no doubt always appearing on the market.

I have nothing at the moment other than an extinguisher rolling around on the bus floor. Looking for a system to fit in the engine bay now. Anyone recommend a product that is easy to fit?

Cheers
Craig

I've gone for a self deploy system. It's called a fireboy, cost £210 and comes with good instructions and a little winky light to put in your dash for peace of mind that it is "live" and ready to go if needed. It is powderless too so if worse case scenario (man I hope not) there's not the powder to clean off too. I've had the joy of cleaning up after one of those boys has gone off and it's a pain in the arse.

Think that's pretty much the same as the kit VW aircooled works do. Anyone know if there are any earlybay discounts on these at the mo?

I have had an Elide Fire Ball fitted to my engine bay for the last 3 years - I think it is one of the cheapest and easiest to install extinguisher systems available.

In the pic you can see it is mounted in a metal cage suspended above the engine - they are flame triggered not heat so no worries having it in the hot confines of an engine bay.

Got mine from eBay and will replace it with another when required, they have a life of 5 years I think

And here is a link to a video of the balls actually being tested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6K300IEOr0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just spotted these.

http://prestigesafety.co.uk/newsite/fireball.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look pretty similar to what you have fitted Stu, but even cheaper.

Obviously not tested one of these ones, which appear to be made by a company called AFO. Looks like it would do the job though!

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

rlepecha said:
Just spotted these.

http://prestigesafety.co.uk/newsite/fireball.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look pretty similar to what you have fitted Stu, but even cheaper.

Obviously not tested one of these ones, which appear to be made by a company called AFO. Looks like it would do the job though!

Yep - they look exactly the same and to be honest probably come from the same plant as the Elide!
Atleast I know where my replacement is coming from!!
Cheers for the link! Loads cheaper!

http://www.noworriescampers.co.uk/about.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just brought one of these, about £120 quid from what i remember. Still yet to fit it but looks easy.

Bearing in mind we used 11 2kg and 4 large powder and CO2 extinguishers on a T25 engine fire at Bristol Volksfest a few years ago, I don't think any engine bay systems will be enough to save your bus.

Probably gives you a bit more time to get you and your family out safely.

sparkywig said:
Bearing in mind we used 11 2kg and 4 large powder and CO2 extinguishers on a T25 engine fire at Bristol Volksfest a few years ago, I don't think any engine bay systems will be enough to save your bus.

Probably gives you a bit more time to get you and your family out safely.

Yep well said Si - exactly that, especially with several litres of fuel directly available to feed the fire from the tank!
Our exit strategy should the worst happen is to get out and away from the bus before even attempting to fight the fire. Only have the fireball, 5ltr foam and small co2 onboard so wouldn't stand any chance of extinguishing the inferno.

One of the reasons I change all the fuel lines every year as a matter of course now and have worked my hardest to eradicate every oil leak to minimise the chance of unwanted ignition.

I guess opening the engine lid to get at the blaze would only add oxygen to it and make it worse. Would probably try and dump the foam through the engine air vents if at all possible.

Very good point.

I put this advice from a fire fighter friend up as a "sticky" on another forum many years ago. Perhaps it's time it had a home on here?

"I know how gut-wrenching it is when it happens to your bus trust me, so here are a few tips.

1. Don't panic, you will lose track of time and spend a vital 30 seconds thinking about things you perhaps don't need to.

2. It will most likely happen whilst you are driving, as soon as you detect a loss of power or hear something not right, get the indicator on and start pulling over, people will get out of the way Tell everyone to get their seatbelts off and get ready to get out. Do not drive with your side door locked if there are people in the back.

3. Have your extinguisher handy. At about 15 mph pull on the handbrake.

4. As the vehicle comes to a stop switch off your engine, get your hazards on and ensure everyone is out and send them away Get one of your passengers to call the fire service and let them know if you have a gas cylinder on board. Don’t think about your iPod, etc. Your van is unlikely to explode for a while yet so if you feel up to it it’s time to get in there.

5. If you have a locking engine lid it’s always wise to drive with it unlocked.

6. Pop the engine lid so that the bottom of the hatch is just a couple of inches open and pop a quick squib of dry powder up into the roof of the engine bay. This will knock down the flames and enable you to see what’s actually on fire, you can then open the lid proper.

7. Main culprits are the fuel pump, carb, fuel lines, gas cylinder hoses, batteries, oily deposits on the engine and engine bay roof lining. If your gas hose is alight a little squib should put it out, once out turn off the gas, the regulator will only allow a little gas through and the cylinders are very robust. Following this, hit the other seats of fire starting with the biggest, each time with little squibs of the extinguisher. Dry powder is an excellent extinguishing media, you really don’t need much to make it work and you want some left for the next job.

8. Have a look underneath to see if your fuel line is alight and aim the powder at any seats of fire that may be underneath. If you can see fuel leaking out try to block the fuel line with mud, a biro, mole grips anything you can find. (I have epoxy putty in the glove box, you can get it from B&Q in a little 6 pack.)

9. Go back and check all the other seats of fire are extinguished, if you are unable to put it out, you and your passengers should get about 50 metres away and look away, no-one wants to watch their van burn.

10. If you have cracked it, the work isn’t over yet, you need to disconnect the battery, ensure the fuel supply is isolated and monitor all the hot spots until help arrives.

11. DO NOT try and repair it and carry on your journey, there is no telling what hidden damage has been done.

12. Take pictures for insurance purposes, and to get lots of sympathy from your fellow VW owners.

It’s a horrible business, but it is possible to minimise the damage if you can start to knock down the flames in the first 30 seconds.
The regular comments about fuel lines, fireflex, etc are good practice, don’t ever think it won’t happen to you (I did)."

Should definitely be a sticky that one.. I guess one of the big problems is once a fire burns through a fuel pipe then you have a constant source of fuel, so I would suggest to everyone to put a fuel cut off solenoid just after the tank so that at least one source of fuel is removed if you do have a fire.

Ordered the vw aircooled works system....Least it's a good start! Out of interest the fuel cut off valves....these work regardless of mechanical/electronic fuel pump?

Great guide for how to handle a fire. Ever since seeing that fire on the m4 near Bristol a few weeks ago I keep having nightmares that it could happen to my family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My two pence on this, as all been said before really

I have a £££ firetec fitted, but as above regular fuel line checks are the key I think.

I didn't have an engine fire although could have with the old crusty wiring in my van.
All my electrics shorted and wiring smoked under dash whilst driving along the a303 in the dark.
This was due to the prev owner having replaced the headlight cables with household wire among other things. :shock:

Luckily I did have a fire extinguisher to hand and then got out the van asap as no lights as electrics had shorted.

My two main points / take aways from the above;
- As with fuel lines regular wiring checks are key, and if in doubt get an electrician to check.
Esepc if the wiring is the og loom as insulation etc may be worn and brittle/ bodged over the years.
(have since replaced my loom for peace of mind)

- When driving I now have a grab bag, which some may think overkill, in the front cab (a vintage army medic bag off ebay so no an eye sore)
This contains a fluro jacket,magnetic flashing light beacons, torch, a triangle, beer to drown sorrows, etc.

Theres also a big difference these days with Powder and Suppression systems

Suppression systems use an inert gas (used to be halon but think changing now), this removes all the oxygen from the engine bay, preventing combustion. Think fireboy is suppression?

Powder ones make an absolute mess where as the suppression systems will only leave whatever damage the fire did in the short term.

We use suppression systems in server farms (computers) and they work very well when they (if) they fire off.

Latest posts