firetec discharge issue - weird

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagboyblue

Reaction score
right just happened stick my head in the engine bay for a routine check and noticed the gauge on my firetec was bottomed out and that the extinguisher was empty.

further examination showed the tube had melted very slightly under one of the protection coils ???

theres no indication the system went of in one hit as there is loads of dust on the engine and normal grime associated with a vw engine??

i have checked how it was fitted and there is no indication the coil was introduced a electrical current so no heat generated

there hasn't been a fire as i think i would of noticed plus the split in the tube is very slight

the only thing I can think of is the heat of the engine has heated the coil and melted the tube

any ideas?????

the foam would dry as a powder so if you had a slow leak it might be dry and dispersed before you notice it?

I thought that they were under alot of pressure so if you get a breach it would really pour out? :|

It is under pressure and the slightest heat issue over 80 degrees C would cause it to go off at that point (and it should be pretty rapid) so there may not be any obvious signs of an inferno or it may well be a chaffing and again a rapid expulsion of the charge....

the water in the foam would dry pretty quickly leaving a powder

any pics?

contact John Malyon at firetec he should be able to give a bit more info and sort out a replacement tube and then just get your local fire engineers to charge it (fire stations used to do it free).

spoke to firetec - he said after my description of the problem and the shape of the mark on the tube that the only way it would it would breach the tube is if the metal guard has shorted on something??

it would quickly release all the foam because it is under high pressure and there would not be any sign of the foam as it is designed not leave a residue

i can't see how it did short on something as its attached to the roof of the engine compartment by cable ties and not near any electrical source?

however my brake lights stopped working the other day and I noticed the fuse had blown maybe that had something to do with the short and some how run a current through the engine compartment and chaffing guard - any ideas???

anyway firetec said they do not recommend using this guard in confined spaces i.e. vw t2's as they have been known to be the reason a fire was started (due to the guard heating up like a element when introduced to a current from the battery, alternator or a short etc) so a word of warning there

I have sent my kit back to have the guard removed and refilled - cost around £50

what are your thoughts people??

Slightly concerning as i have just fitted mine with the chaffguard on. I beleived that was the way to do it for vans etc. :shock:

mattd1984 said:
Slightly concerning as i have just fitted mine with the chaffguard on. I beleived that was the way to do it for vans etc. :shock:

yeah me too :shock:

they told me that when i bought mine, i think i posted the info on one of the more recent group buy threads.

do they look difficult to remove?

hmm - conflicting information :? I thought the chafe guard was recommended for an engine bay due to vibration & the chance of the pipe being caught,squashed,niked by tools or maintenance. not fitted mine yet - what now?

just be careful with any voltage supplies near the guard

firetec also said the tube is very durable on its own it would take some serious rubbing to make it discharge

been checking out my electrics and found the fuse between my leisure battery and relay has also blown?? i'm thinking a surge from the leisure battery?? anyone had this problem???

still can't figure out how this effected the chaff guard though

i'm pretty much stumped

Latest posts