If you don't have one...get one!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bundy

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Custom
Plumbed in fire extinguishers...
I recently found out that it's not just aircooled engines in buses that can catch fire.
We were in Switzerland working our way home having been out to Tuscany for a week and we decided to cut a corner and go over a mountain pass. As I have a Subaru engine in the bus it doesn't tend to struggle too badly with the hills, but the engine had been running slightly hot and using oil all holiday and this pass proved to be rather long and steep. Anyway, it generated enough heat off the engine and exhaust to melt the cam covers onto the exhaust....that then decided to catch fire!
First I knew about it was the instant loss of power as the engine cut out. Then I noticed the bright red light I'd fitted to the dash for the auto extinguisher was glowing brightly! Got out and open her up to find a few small flames still there that were very easily dealt with using the hand held extinguisher.
Not only had the plumbed in one put most of the fire out, but when it went off the engine sucked it in thus stalling it instantly. The engine bay is untouched thankfully, and all it needs is a new engine (but that's changing to something else anyway!). It could have been alot worse if the fire had gone unchecked a bit longer as there are several fuel pipes in the engine bay! I never thought I'd need it after changing to water cooled and nearly took it out for my Beetle, but I'm so so glad I left it in...they really do give you a better chance of saving the bus if the worst happens.
I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else, but prevention and preparation are definately key!
A couple of boring pics!...and yes it was pissing down, in thick cloud and cold!!

What extinguisher system did you have installed?

Glad it worked - although might have been a different story if it was fuel fire rather than hot melted plastic!

What are your future engine plans?

It was a Firetec one with the pipe that goes around the roof of the engine bay.
Yeh, a fuel fire might have been alot worse...not worth thinking about!
Future plans...thinking of really upsetting the purists and going PD130 Tdi with flipped 5-speed box :msn4:

Bundy said:
Future plans...thinking of really upsetting the purists and going PD130 Tdi with flipped 5-speed box :msn4:

How dare you fit anything other than a boxer engine :!: :roll: You should be ashamed!

EDIT ;)

The PD130 is a 1900cc VW lump commonly found in Golfs, Passats, Boras etc and also in the Audi, Seat and Skoda ranges. PD stands for Pump Duse - a type of direct injection. When I worked for VW they tried to convince everyone it was better than common rail technology - then they brought out their own common rail engine -those crazy Germans ! Nice to see it's something from the VAG fold going back in - although I bet it will sound more like an Icecream van than the Scooby :lol:

It is a VW engine :roll: :lol:
Anything to have more torque than you Just! :msn4:

The noise is what's put me off thus far, but the pros outweigh the cons for me now.

I like the way you also chose a bike rack which lets you open the engine lid directly, without faffing about with removing bikes and struts etc first - I've done the same, after trying several bike racks that would take at least several minutes to remove before the engine lid can be opened - a potentially disastrous delay or impossibility if a fire needs to be controlled...

I have a Fireboy fire suppression system from VWAircooledWorks in my bus as well as auto shut off valves for the petrol line at the carb and the fuel tank end - although I run my bus on lpg, which has gas shut off valves automatically installed and is hugely less risky than a petrol fuel system in event of an engine fire...

cheers
rob

The guy that owns what is now firetec actually invented this type of system and I think theirs is still one of the best, glad it put the fire out and you didn't loose your van.. Robjarman how do you get on with lpg on an aircooled does it run ok? Not too hot?

hi - lpg is the best alteration I have made to my bus - it runs very much better than petrol, neither hotter nor cooler, more torque at low revs but slightly less overall power at higher revs, for some reason. The oil stays clean for very much longer, also the plugs and the exhaust system, as lpg burns with virtually zero particulates i.e. no soot. The clean burn appeals to me very strongly, as a professional environmentalist (I've also converted my Audi 80 2.0 to lpg and that's a fab sweet drive>>>!!).

the lpg tank (55 litre cylinder) sits under the rear seat (stock Devon furniture, had to raise by about 1" off the floor to clear the tank fittings.
Also have the petrol system in tandem of course so no problems if running out of gas...

I use the BLOS lpg carb set up after trying the standard 'gas burner' mixer on top of the carb - it was dreadful...!! The BLOS gives a very sweet response and it also means I can use the stock oil bath air filter and intake system. I get about 5 miles/litre on the lpg - at prices from 49p to 59p/l...

I've done nearly 10k miles since the conversion - stock 1600TP - with no problems whatsoever...now I'll get one of course!!

if you need any more details or pics, just ask!

cheers
Rob

Bundy said:
It was a Firetec one with the pipe that goes around the roof of the engine bay.
Yeh, a fuel fire might have been alot worse...not worth thinking about!

My daily is a Passat 1.9TDI PD130. Dude, that bus is gonna fly!

My daily is a Passat 1.9TDI PD130. Dude, that bus is gonna fly![/quote]

That's the plan! 8)

There is clearly some cooling issues then if your engine got that hot. Those fire suppression things are a good idea, I'll never got 1 though. My opinion is, brand new cars don't come with them and Vw never fitted them to buses when they were made so why does my bus need 1 now? Fuel hose is fuel hose, if you keep on top of maintaince and use decent bits you shouldn't have a problem

K@rlos said:
There is clearly some cooling issues then if your engine got that hot. Those fire suppression things are a good idea, I'll never got 1 though. My opinion is, brand new cars don't come with them and Vw never fitted them to buses when they were made so why does my bus need 1 now? Fuel hose is fuel hose, if you keep on top of maintaince and use decent bits you shouldn't have a problem

Yes it had been running a little hot, but not to the extent I thought that would happen...
Agree with what you say, but a little piece of mind goes a long way in case something unforeseen were to happen... ;)